Boot camp issues with Windows 10 on late 2009 iMac

Jamsidings 16:33 15 May 2017
Answered

I have an iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) running Sierra v 10.12.4 and with a 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 8GB 1067MHz memory and a 1TB SATA HD. I have tried to set-up a partition to run Windows 10 using BootCamp assistant but it won't let me do it because, it informs me, that for my (ancient) machine, I can only set up a partition with Windows 7 or 8. I don't understand why that should be the case given that as far as I know the OS, the processor, memory and the rest of the hardware on the Mac are compatible. I have been running Windows 10 trouble-free on a fairly ancient, albeit reasonably well appointed, PC of 2007-8 vintage, for the the past year or so. I would like to set-up the Windows partition on the Mac simply because I'd like to phase-out the PC but still have access to the Windows software that I currently run on it. There must be a work-around for this - mustn't there? Can anyone help please?

bremner 18:03 15 May 2017

Only Macs from 2012 onwards are supported in Bootcamp. If you google you will find Evans of possibly installing on older machines.

A more relabel and safer means is to install Parallels and run W10 as a virtual machine.

bremner 18:04 15 May 2017
Answer

Evans ?? = means

Jamsidings 20:33 15 May 2017

Thanks for your reply bremner. I was aware of Parallels as an option and might have to go with that in the end, but I would really prefer to have it on a separate partition if possible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?