Boot camp issues with Windows 10 on late 2009 iMac

Jamsidings 16:33 15 May 2017
Answered

I have an iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) running Sierra v 10.12.4 and with a 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 8GB 1067MHz memory and a 1TB SATA HD. I have tried to set-up a partition to run Windows 10 using BootCamp assistant but it won't let me do it because, it informs me, that for my (ancient) machine, I can only set up a partition with Windows 7 or 8. I don't understand why that should be the case given that as far as I know the OS, the processor, memory and the rest of the hardware on the Mac are compatible. I have been running Windows 10 trouble-free on a fairly ancient, albeit reasonably well appointed, PC of 2007-8 vintage, for the the past year or so. I would like to set-up the Windows partition on the Mac simply because I'd like to phase-out the PC but still have access to the Windows software that I currently run on it. There must be a work-around for this - mustn't there? Can anyone help please?

bremner 18:03 15 May 2017

Only Macs from 2012 onwards are supported in Bootcamp. If you google you will find Evans of possibly installing on older machines.

A more relabel and safer means is to install Parallels and run W10 as a virtual machine.

bremner 18:04 15 May 2017
Answer

Evans ?? = means

Jamsidings 20:33 15 May 2017

Thanks for your reply bremner. I was aware of Parallels as an option and might have to go with that in the end, but I would really prefer to have it on a separate partition if possible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 6 (2018) review

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment retrouver son code Wifi ?