Are eMachines any good?

SDJ 20:43 07 Oct 2003

Just had a quote from an IT firm for a couple of new machines for the office.
They have quoted for Maxdata machines which seem fine but have seen an eMachine in PCW with similar spec and only £499 incl VAT.

Just wondered what the general feeling was with them.

Cheers

Djohn 22:59 07 Oct 2003

Seen them in the store and they look good value for money, but not had any personal experience with them. I think GANDALF <|:-)> has bought one or two of these and he will be able to offer sound advice on seeing your thread. j.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:24 07 Oct 2003

'GANDALF <|:-)> has bought one or two of these'....it's now 12 ;-)))

They are superb machines. 10 of the 12 that I have bought are used in offices and 2 were for home use; they have proved ultra-reliable. Good value for money and available off the shelf. You may like to consider the TFT screen option for £599 IIRC, the screen is excellent. The speakers, whilst chic, look flimsy but the sound is respectable.

Gripe....rodent is OK but I would consider an optical one (£14 ish). Don't buy the extended warranty. The surge protectors are good value for such a well made item.

G

SDJ 08:27 08 Oct 2003

I think I will put this to the directors. The tft option is a definate as we do lack space.

Thanks guys, most helpful as usual.

Cheers

Stuartli 09:25 08 Oct 2003

The company has a good reputation for reliability.

tomleady 14:27 08 Oct 2003

my emachine is terrible. bad support for graphics and sounds cards. but i do try and push it to far i suppose. they are cheap though, maybe there is areason for it?

johnnyrocker 17:11 08 Oct 2003

not any actual experience of them but as a pointer i notice a number of internet cafes seem to use them where i am which i think should speak for itself.

cheers.

johnny.

kestrel3 13:03 09 Oct 2003

I bought one for my son a couple of years ago from Dixons, it's poorly made & unreliable (the hard drive had to be replaced within 2 months!)

My advice, steer well clear.

SDJ 18:13 09 Oct 2003

Thanks to all of you for your posts.

Seems there are some good and bad ones!

Anyway I am getting quotes made up for eMachines and Compaq, personally I would prefer the later but we will see.

Thanks again

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:18 10 Oct 2003

I think that you will find that Emachines and Compaq are rather similar, :-))))

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)