Amazon Certified Renewed iPhones not Apple parts

Sophie Whitworth 18:58 31 Jan 2019

Wondering where consumer/advertising laws stand with the following...

Ordered an 'Amazon Certified Renewed iPhone7 32gb' (click here from Amazon fulfilled by Music Magpie due to the following guarantee in the description:

"Amazon Renewed is your trusted destination for pre-owned and refurbished products that are inspected and tested to work and look like new. A Renewed supplier who is Amazon-qualified and performance managed, but not Apple certified, performs a full diagnostic test, replaces any defective parts, and thoroughly cleans the product. Any repairs are made with Apple components that are new, or reused and in like-new condition. The products will have minimal to no signs of wear, no visible cosmetic imperfections when held 12 inches away, batteries with at least 80% capacity relative to new, and may arrive in a brown or white box with relevant accessories (no headphones included) that may be generic."

As suggested by an Apple employee - as soon as I received the phone I went to Apple and had it screened to check its all working whilst still in my returns period... They confirmed the screen, buttons, back plate AND battery were all third party parts, not Apple. The battery is particularly important as Apple will refuse to ever do any work/troubleshoot on a phone with a third party battery due to safety reasons.

My main questions are is this normal/standard? Where, if anywhere, could I find a refurbished phone with genuine Apple made parts? (Mainly didn't want to spend loads on a brand new phone as my old one just gave up!!)

Thanks

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Les bons plans TV (2019)