2006 imac won't bootup could it be the hard dive?

Bob Harding 12:16 29 Sep 2019

Hello all, I've been using my old works Mac, but now will not boot up, I'm a total Dummy when it comes to comp tech. All I can do is discribe what happens....I press the start button, it starts to boot up - White screen with apple logo for 30seconds, Then - White screen with no entry logo (grey circle with diagonal slash) for 2 mins Then - Plain white screen for as long as its switched on! Can anybody give some idea what is wrong & a fix. Thanks All. Bob H. [email protected]

HondaMan 12:26 29 Sep 2019

Try a restart via + R, then reload the OS from the screen which appears. It sounds like the OS has been corrupted. Have you installed any new software

Bob Harding 12:40 29 Sep 2019

hello HondaMan, I don't remember loading any new software, but it was a while ago couple of months, been using a PC since. Normally I can hear the disc spin up, but no sound apart from the cooling fan. I'll try your +R thing next. Ta a fellow Honda Man (Bob)

Bob Harding 12:57 29 Sep 2019

Hello HondaMan, tried the+R at various stages of the 3 stages of screen stages. But Pressing +R does not show any indication of effect.

Pine Man 14:23 29 Sep 2019

I think HondaMan missed out the Command button.

Shut down your Mac then hold the Command and R keys down and press the start button. Keep holding Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears on the screen. You should see a screen saying macOS Utilitiies or if your Mac is old, OS X Utilities.

Good luck!

HondaMan 15:21 29 Sep 2019

Just re-read my post. Whilst I did put the Command + R in the original post, it was changed the the visible advice, try it,. Goops. It pays to read your post VERY VAREFULLY!

Bob Harding 16:11 29 Sep 2019

Thanks Pine Man, HondMan, will try again tomorrow all packed away now.BH.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2019

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Les bons plans jeux vidéos (2019)