Microsoft Corporation has announced the winners of the 11th annual Microsoft Imagine Cup and Australian team, Team Confufish Royale from the University of New South Wales, won the third prize and $US5000 in cash in the World Citizenship category.
Team for a Better World from Portugal, nabbed the overall World Citizenship prize of $US50,000, while Team Omni-Hearing Solution from Taiwan won second place and $US10,000 in cash.
Search for distributors in theDistributor Directory
The Microsoft Imagine Cup is a competition for student technologists, developers and aspiring entrepreneurs to create innovative projects and ultimately, bring those ideas to market.
Held in St Petersburg, Russia this year, 305 student technologists and entrepreneurs comprising 87 teams from 71 countries were challenged to create a better future by using technology and their imaginations to solve some of the world's toughest problems through innovative solutions.
The teams competed for prizes and awards totalling more than $1 million.
Team Confufish Royale's project consisted of an intelligent food distribution solution that could help millions of Australians who rely on food aid to receive nutritious and life-saving meals.
"The students participating in this competition demonstrate the very best in innovation from their home countries and together are creating new apps, innovations and services that will change the way the world works, interacts and learns," Microsoft corporate vice-president and chief evangelist, Steve Guggenheimer, said.
Other first place winners include:
- Team Colinked from the United Kingdom for the Innovation category
- Team Zeppelin Studio from Austria for the Games category
- Team Y-Nots from India for the Windows Azure Challenge
- Team vSoft Studio from Singapore for the Windows Phone Challenge
- Team TeamNameException from Italy for the Windows 8 Apps Challenge.
- Team Banzai Lightning from France; Team Flying Ship from Brazil; Team Lumos from Korea; Team MASKed Ninjas from Egypt; and Team TapBoarders from Poland for the AFT excellence awards
- Team Flying Ship from Brazil for the AppCampus Award
- Team AuThink of Croatia for the DreamSpark Learning Award
- Team AYNi from Ecuador for the Facebook Creativity Award
- Team Sano from Canada for the KFC Russia Award
- Team Y-Nots from India for the Mail.Ru Group Connected Planet Award
- Team Firebird from Sri Lanka for the Samsung Digital Native Award
- Team Code 8 from Uganda for the Women's Empowerment Award.
The worldwide finals of the Microsoft Imagine Cup will take place, for the first time, at Microsoft's headquarters in Redmond, US, in 2014.