The passcode problem
More than ever before, smartphones sit at the heart of their owners’ lives. Today’s phones are powerful and sophisticated enough to be half a dozen devices in one: satnav, games console, music player, camera… And even entry-level models offer so much storage space they can be used as portable hard drives for vital data. Losing – or losing access to – your smartphone is a modern catastrophe.
Users recognise this, and as the market matures and data leaks make headlines, they are growing increasingly educated about the importance of security. iPhone owners in particular are turning to passcodes, or biometric protections backed up by a passcode, to protect the data on their devices. But these protections come at a cost.
For one thing, passcodes can be hard to remember, especially when they are added to the wide range of codes and passwords that we use for other tech companies, devices and services. And biometrics don’t help. In fact, they can make things worse, because they mean you don’t enter your passcode as often – which is hard on the memory when you do have to enter it when restarting or updating your device, or when the biometric tech fails to recognise you.
Another issue with passcodes is that they depend on the display working properly. If your phone malfunctions, or if it gets dropped and the screen breaks, you may find that it’s impossible to enter the passcode at all.
Ultimately it is essential to use a strong passcode to secure an iPhone. But it is also important to face the fact that at some point, for one of the reasons listed above, you won’t be able to enter the passcode. And that means you won’t be able to get into your iPhone.
There are ways around this situation. It’s possible, for example, to bypass a forgotten passcode using iTunes, although many users find this too complicated. Tenorshare 4uKey is a simple alternative option, and in the following tutorial we will explain how it works.
How to unlock your iPhone with Tenorshare
Tenorshare 4uKey is a piece of software that can bypass a forgotten passcode (or unresponsive screen) and unlock an iPhone. It starts at $59.95 for Mac but there’s a free trial. Let’s get started.
- First you need to install Tenorshare 4uKey on your Mac or PC. You can download the free version from Tenorshare’s website: select Free Trial, then Mac Version. Find the 4UKey-mac.dmg file in your Downloads folder and click it, then when prompted drag the app icon into your Applications folder.
- Double-click the icon to launch the software. If this is the first time you’ve launched it, macOS will warn you that the software was downloaded from the internet and ask for confirmation: click Open. (The process here may vary depending on your security settings.)
- First-time users will now be directed to Tenorshare’s online user guide, but if you’re happy to proceed you should click the blue 4uKey icon in your dock to return to the application. (Note that if you wish to upgrade from the trial to the paid version of the software at any point, you can click the red shopping-trolley icon at the top right.)
- Connect your (locked) iPhone to the Mac as instructed. When the device is recognised, and you have carefully read the warnings about your data being wiped and an updated version of iOS being installed, click Start.
- Before removing the passcode, 4uKey needs to download the latest iOS update. Select a save path and click Download. The software will download the correct compatible IPSW file and install it to your device directly without having to use iTunes. If this doesn’t work, click Copy to run a manual download through the browser.
- Click Unlock Now. The passcode will be removed. This takes several minutes, and it is important that you keep the device connected (and do not use it) until you get confirmation that 4uKey has finished.
- Now that the iPhone is unlocked, you can set it up as a new device. It is completely wiped as part of the unlocking process, but you can restore from a backup to recover all of your data and settings.
Additional benefits of using 4uKey
Tenorshare 4uKey can do more than just bypassing a forgotten passcode. You can use it to perform a clean iOS install, a useful method for fixing serious iPhone problems that cannot be solved in other ways. And it’s an effective tool for wiping a device beyond reach of data-recovery software, which is a vital step if you’re selling an iPhone.
The software is compatible with all the latest iPhone models, iPads and the latest iOS software, and can remove Touch ID and Face ID locks as well as passcodes.