The Pixel 4a and 4a 5G are available now, with Google staggering the release of its latest mid-range phones. The 4a available from 1 October before the 4a 5G finally arrived on 19 November. To complicate matters, the regular model was out in the US as early as 20 August.
Despite what the name suggests, there are plenty of differences between the two models besides 5G connectivity. The Pixel 4a 5G comes with a larger 6.2in display (compared to 5.81in), and a more modern Snapdragon 765G instead of 730G. There's also a dedicated ultra-wide rear camera lens and a bigger battery.
That's reflected in the price, with the 4a 5G costing £499 at launch, while the regular 4a starts at £349. All this is not forgetting the Pixel 5, which was announced alongside the 4a 5G and released on 15 October 2020.
There were some great contract and SIM-free deals available towards the end of 2020, and many look set to continue as we move through 2021.
How much do the Pixel 4a and 4a 5G cost?
At launch, the Pixel 4a cost £349/US$349. There's only one configuration available, offering 6GB RAM and 128GB storage. The improved specs on the 4a 5G are reflected in its price - £499/US$499.
Both the Pixel 4a and 4a 5G scored an impressive 8/10 in our full reviews, with the former considered one of the best mid-range phones you can buy. However, it's only available in black, so it's worth considering one of these great cases to go with it.
Best Google Pixel 4a deals
The Pixel 4a was discounted to £319 over Black Friday and Cyber Monday, but the phone is now back to its regular RRP of £349 at most retailers. Here's where you can buy it:
- Google Store
- Currys PC World
- Carphone Warehouse
- John Lewis - out of stock
- Amazon - only available via third-party sellers from £368
US SIM-free offers - $299.99 at Best Buy
If you'd prefer, you can pick up the Pixel 4a from the following carriers in the UK:
- Carphone Warehouse - Best plan: £23.99 per month with no upfront cost for 10GB data and free Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones
- EE - Best plan: £37 per month with £30 upfront for 10GB data
- iD Mobile - Best plan: £19.99 per month with no upfront cost for 5GB data
- Mobiles.co.uk - Best cashback plan: £22 per month with no upfront cost for 54GB data (Vodafone). Plans also available with iD Mobile, Virgin
- O2 - Plans start at £25 per month with £30 upfront for 1GB data and 6 months of Disney+. More options detailed below
- Three - Best plan: £26 per month with no upfront cost for 12GB data. Plus three months' free YouTube Premium, Google One and Google Play Pass
- Vodafone - Best plan: £41 per month, £29 upfront for 6GB data plus choice of YouTube Premium, Amazon Prime or Spotify Premium for duration of 24-month contract.
- Virgin Mobile doesn't have any Pixel 4a deals on its website, but contracts are available via Mobiles.co.uk - Plans start at £21 per month with £60 upfront for 1GB of data
We would also recommend looking at the following phone retailers for cashback contract deals, though some offer non-cashback plans as well:
Check out a summary of more great deals below:
1. Google Pixel 4a (4G) with unlimited data (iD Mobile) and free Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones
From: Carphone Warehouse
Now: From £26.99 per month, £79.99 upfront
Carphone Warehouse's excellent deal bundles unlimited minutes, texts and 4G data on the Pixel 4a with a free pair of five-star Sony WH-10000XM4 headphones (usually worth £350). Just pay £79.99 upfront and it's all yours for £26.99 per month.
2. Google Pixel 4a (4G) with 12GB data
Now: £26 per month (with 3 months' free YouTube Premium, Google One and Google Play Pass)
In addition to getting unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 12GB of data, Three's Pixel 4a deal gets you three month subscriptions to YouTube Premium, Google One for cloud and Google Play Pass for mobile gaming.
3. Google Pixel 4a (4G) with 1GB, 5GB or 15GB data
Now: From £25 per month, £30 upfront (with 6 months Disney+ free)
All of O2's Pixel 4a (4G) contract offers come with a free Google Nest Audio, the company's latest smart speaker (usually worth £89.99).
You'll also be eligible for various subscriptions, depending on how much data you need. For 1GB, you'll get 6 months of Disney+, but upgrade to 5GB or 15GB and you can also choose from 3 months of Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Music Unlimited, Audible, Calm, McAfee & more instead. Also available with the Pixel 5.
US contract availability
Best Google Pixel 4a 5G deals
The Pixel 4a only went on sale in the UK in November 2020, but it's already been discounted via the following retailers:
- Google Store - £459
- Amazon - £449
- Carphone Warehouse - £449
- Currys PC World - £449
- John Lewis - £449
Mobiles.co.uk is still selling the device for its RRP of £499.
Further discounts might be available in the coming weeks but we can't guarantee it. Here's where you can buy the phone on contract in the UK:
- EE - from £31 per month with £50 upfront, or £36 per month with £50 upfront and free subscription
- Vodafone - from £39 per month with £19 upfront
- Carphone Warehouse - from £19.99 per month with £19.99 upfront
- iD Mobile - from £24.99 per month with £29.99 upfront
- Mobiles.co.uk - plans available with Vodafone and iD Mobile
For great offers on Google's other 2020 phone, check out the best Google Pixel 5 deals.