Amazon Prime Day 2019 could be right around the corner, with history suggesting it'll take place in July. It's one of the biggest shopping events of the year, with deals across thousands of products on Amazon. Plus, competing retailers have jumped on the bandwagon and have been known to launch their own deals events at the same time.
Here's everything we know so far about Amazon Prime Day 2019, including when we think it'll take place, what deals you can expect to see and competing sales from some of Amazon's biggest rivals.
When is Amazon Prime Day 2019?
So far, there's been no word from Amazon about whether or not Prime Day 2019 is even happening, but the event has been a huge success for the past four years so we're almost certain that we'll see it return for 2019.
In 2018, Prime Day began at midday on 16 July and ended at midnight on 17 July (yes, it was actually a day and a half rather than a day). However, that was actually later than usual, probably to make way for the World Cup.
For the three years prior to 2018, Amazon Prime Day fell on the second Tuesday in July, whereas this was the third Tuesday in July.
So, with that in mind, we expect Amazon Prime Day 2019 to fall on either Tuesday 9 July or Tuesday 16 July.
What is Amazon Prime Day?
Prime Day 2019 will be the fifth annual Prime Day Amazon has hosted. The first was in the summer of 2015 when Amazon was celebrating its 20th birthday, but it was such a success that it has now become a yearly deals event.
2018's Prime Day featured more than one million deals globally, and Amazon delivered 40% more Spotlight deals in the UK than in 2017.
It's available for Prime members only, so you'll need to be signed up to Amazon Prime in order to take advantage of Prime deals. Sign up to Amazon Prime or its 30-day free trial before the day to get access to deals.
If you're new to Amazon Prime and want to find out more about it, we have an article all about Amazon Prime benefits here. In a nutshell, Amazon Prime is a service that started out as a way to get unlimited next day delivery, but has since evolved to include additional benefits such as access to Amazon's Netflix rival Prime Video.
Amazon Prime Day 2018 bestsellers
To give you an idea of what to expect from Amazon Prime Day 2018, here's a rundown of 2018's bestsellers. Of course, these deals have now ended, but you might want to see what customers were most interested in.
- 40% off Echo Dot
- £15 off Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote
- 42% off TP-Link WiFi Smart Plug
- £110 off Hive Active Heating and Hot Water
- Half price PlayStation Plus 15 Month membership
- PS4 Pro Console, 1TB for under £300
- Xbox One S 1TB Console Sea of Thieves / Minecraft Bundle for under £200
- £90 off Ring Video Doorbell Pro
- 30% off Ring Video Doorbell 2
- £180 off Shark Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner
- £261 off Philips Lumea Prestige IPL Hair Removal Device
- 45% off Bosch Cordless Combi Drill
- 64% off Finish Dishwasher Tablets
- Andrex Supreme Quilts Toilet Roll - 54 rolls for under £20
- Microsoft Surface Pro
- Sennheiser HD 4.50 Special Edition headphones
- Crucial MX500 internal SSD
Amazon Prime Day Launches
In addition to making Prime Day longer in 2018, Amazon introduced a new initiative called Prime Day Launches. These were brand new products and special-editions that were available exclusively to Prime members until mid August.
Amazon revealed the TicWatch Pro smartwatch as a Prime Day Launches exclusive too, available here.
Prime Day rivals from across the web
As Amazon Prime Day grows, the company's rivals have begun joining in with the fun. In 2018 we saw the following sales:
- Argos: The Big Sale!
- Carphone Warehouse: Price Crash
- Currys/PC World: Flash Deals
- Debenhams: Flash Sale
- Dell: Black Friday in July
- GAME: Up to 50% off
- Ebuyer: Optimus Day
- John Lewis: Clearance
- Microsoft: Summer Sale
- Mobile Phones Direct: Flash Sale
- Very: 50% off sale
- Zavvi: Flash Deals
How to get Amazon Prime
As mentioned, the catch to Prime Day is that you need to be an Amazon Prime customer in order to take advantage of the deals.
You can find out more about Amazon Prime and the huge number of features it offers for that £79/$119 per year fee in our complete guide to Amazon Prime.
Be sure to cancel your subscription before your free trial ends to avoid being charged, unless of course you find yourself enjoying it! Find out more about how to cancel your subscription properly here.
If you've previously had a free trial of Amazon Prime, you might be surprised to hear that you can do so again if it has been more than a year since your last trial.
Amazon Prime Day tips
- Make sure your payment and shipping information is up to date now to be ready to make quick purchases on the day.
- Consider turning on Amazon's 1-click purchase option.
- Use the Watch this Deal button on upcoming deals you see on Amazon's website, to make sure you don't miss them.
- Join the Waitlist for products that say 100% claimed, because people often change their minds and don't buy. You'll get a notification to alert you if more become available.
- Choose No-Rush delivery to earn rewards.
Best Amazon deals available right now
While there are no current Amazon Prime deals, the online retailer is always offering deals on products across its catalogue. We're continuously scouring the site for the very best deals, which we share below.
1. Huawei Watch 2 4G
Now: £199.99 (£120 off)
2. Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro (64GB)
Now: £167 (£82 off)
You can also buy the 3GB/32GB Redmi Note 6 Pro discounted from £219 to £149.99 at Amazon UK.
3. HP Deskjet 2630 All-in-One Printer
Now: £29.00 (42% off)
This compact HP inkjet printer can print, copy and scan. It comes with a two-month trial of HP instant ink - which re-orders ink so you have it when you need it.
4. Hive Active Heating and Hot Water (self-installation)
Now: £135 (£44 off)
Save on this Hive Active Heating and Hot Water with self-installation. Control it with your voice using Amazon Alexa.
5. Logitech MX Master Wireless Bluetooth Mouse
Now: £54.50 (32% off)
Get this wireless mouse for Windows and Mac with more than £25 off.
6. Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Now: £99.99 (£20 off)
Get £20 off Amazon's Paperwhite e-reader. See our 5 star review here.
7. Samsung Galaxy S8
Now: £329 (46% off)
A great price for the Samsung Galaxy S8 SIM-free from this Amazon deal.
8. Apple iPhone 7 SIM-free
Now: £409 (£40 off)
Get the iPhone 7 with 32GB storage for less than Apple's price from Amazon.