After a countdown on its website, Pebble has launched a pair of new smartwatches. Here's everything you need to know about the Pebble 2 and Pebble Time 2 including release date, price and specs. See also: Best smartwatches 2016.
In one of its biggest launch announcements to date, Pebble said: "We're back! And we’re incredibly excited to announce two new smartwatches–plus, an entirely new, lightweight, hackable, connected device to replace your phone when you’re out running."
New Pebble smartwatches: podcast discussion
Pebble 2, Time 2 and Core release date and price
Announced today, 24 May, the Pebble 2 and Pebble Time 2 are available to back on Kickstarter with a target of $1m. While the Pebble 2 has an estimated shipping of September 2016, the Core won't be available until January 2017.
Remember these are estimates and the Time 2 will begin shipping November 2016, shortly after the Pebble 2.
Pricing depends on how early you back and which reward tier you choose so see below for an outline of your options.
Early Bird Specials (Limited available)
• $69 - One Pebble Core in any of the two colours
• $99 - One Pebble 2 in any of the five colours
• $169 - One Time 2 in any of the three colours
• $79 - One Pebble Core ($99 retail) in any of the two colours
• $109 - One Pebble 2 ($129 retail) in any of the five colours
• $179 - One Pebble Time 2 ($199 retail) in any of the three colours
• $149 - Two Pebble Cores in your choice of colours ($198 value)
• $169 - One Pebble 2 + One Pebble Core in your choice of colours ($228 value)
• $199 - Two Pebble 2 watches in your choice of colours ($258 value)
• $229 - One Pebble Time 2 + One Pebble Core in your choice of colours ($298 value)
• $269 - One Pebble 2 + One Pebble Time 2 in your choice of colours ($328 value)
• $339 - 2 Pebble Time 2 watches in your choice of colours ($398 value)
Pebble 2 and Time 2 specs
Pebble says why choose between a fitness tracker and a smartwatch when you can have it all? To this end, the Pebble 2 and Time 2 smartwatches both have activity tracking and a built-in heart rate monitor. Like previous products, both new watches are compatible with iOS and Android.
The specs do differ so let's take a look at each one individually
Pebble 2 specs
The Pebble 2 offers a high contrast e-paper display and as mentioned has a heart rate monitor which the firm describes as '24/7'. It also features a microphone, activity tracking and a battery life of up to seven days. The Pebble 2 is water resistant to 30m.
Pebble Time 2 specs
With similar but higher-end specs, the Time 2 has a 53 percent larger screen which is colour. It too has a 24/7 heart rate monitor, microphone, activity tracking and a water resistant rating of 30m. However, it has a touted battery life of 10 days.
Pebble Core specs
"Ultra-compact, ultra-lightweight, and ultra-affordable. Core frees you from armbands, hip pouches, and other hassles of exercising with your phone, while keeping you connected and in control," said Pebble on the new Core.
The Core can stream music from Spotify, syncs GPS data with Runkeeper, Strava or Under Armour Record. It also has 3G connectivity so you can leave your phone behind.
The Pebble Core for hackers is a 'hackable Android computer that fits on your keychain to become your magic button for anything'. It can call an Uber, track your pets from anywhere, pilot a drone from the web or stream data from your car. The sky's the limit.