Most of us are pretty familiar with WhatsApp Messenger. You install the app on your phone, verify it with your phone number, then get busy sending free texts and picture messages over Wi-Fi. But you can also make calls using WhatsApp. Or, at least, some of us can. Also see: WhatsApp ban: What you need to know.
If you’ve ever shopped around for a better phone tariff and put a new SIM in your phone without transferring your old number to it (this most likely applies to those of you with ‘disposable’ PAYG SIMs), you may find that people are having trouble getting hold of you. (Or they will anyway.) Also see: Best SIM-only deals.
This is because WhatsApp lists your old phone number rather than your new one, and your friends will be able to see your account only if they keep your old number on their phone or have an active conversation with you.
If you have recently changed your phone number but not told WhatsApp about the change, here’s what you should do.
How to change your WhatsApp number
1. Open the WhatsApp app and tap the three-dot icon at the top right corner. Choose Settings.
2. On the next screen choose Account.
3. Now choose Change number.
4. Tap Next at the top right corner of the screen.
5. Enter your old phone number, then your new phone number, and hit Done to save.
Read more useful WhatsApp tutorials:
- How to send documents on WhatsApp: Share PDFs for free on WhatsApp
- How to make video calls (and group video calls) on WhatsApp
- How to read a WhatsApp message without the sender knowing
- How to avoid WhatsApp viruses, scams and hoaxes
- How to restore WhatsApp messages on a new phone
- How to use WhatsApp Web
- How to install WhatsApp on a tablet
- How to stop WhatsApp automatically saving photos, video and other media
- How to fix WhatsApp: What to do when you can’t connect to WhatsApp