XP/Vista upgrade failed.

Cesare 06:55 17 Jul 2007

Cesare
Tue, [email protected]:53

XP/Vista upgrade failed.

Microsoft Upgrade Advisor gives me the green light to upgrade as all important items are compatable. An error occurs during upgrade. The windows giving error info comes on and goes off, in a flash, but I could just read, 'error..srscan' or something similar. I clicked , Repair Start up software, and it took over 1-2hrs of repairing, so I stopped it. and clicked to Install Vista. but after putting in the Product Key and enabling the License Terms, I got UPGRADE HAS BEEN DISABLED with a suggestion to try CUSTOM(Advanced) upgrade & to proceed upgrade from Windows!! This meant loosing present settings, programs & files, so I quit and reinstalled WinXP.
Could this have happened because my HD is divided into four parts? My available free space is 68GB out of 120GB. I also have an external HD of 250GB which was unplugged. Could this have caused some error? I also switched off my HP scanner.I have Dell Dimension 4600 Pentium4 CPU 266GHZ, system RAM 2.50GB.

anskyber 09:16 17 Jul 2007

If you were repairing then it must be you had Vista on the machine and, if an upgrade disc it will have spotted that. Why did you stop the repair mid stream? A full upgrade install can take 2-3 hours so a repair could take the same time.

Cesare 12:27 17 Jul 2007

anskyber....This thought has been in my mind. I made a mistake to stop it. Maybe I will try again. TKS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?