wireless network problem

conrail 18:17 23 Feb 2007

daughter brought her new laptop with vista home premium, while showing it to me it connected to my belkin wireless network, when she took it home it did not connect to her network, instead is still looking for mine, how can we delete my network from her laptop and set it so it automatically looks for hers, have connected hers using a cable and even tried using a belkin usb adaptor, set up went fine and adaptor flashes but still no connection, all help gratefully acepted

Forum Editor 18:31 23 Feb 2007

should automatically search for available wireless networks, and will offer them to her - all she has to do is tell the machine to connect to the network of her choice.

If she looks in the system tray (bottom right of her screen) she should see a network icon - it looks like two small monitors, one superimposed on the other. If she clicks on the icon a pop-up box will appear, with the option 'Connect to a network'. Clicking on this will produce a Windows network dialogue box, in which should appear all available networks.

Your daughter can then select her home network and tell Vista to connect to it.

conrail 12:40 24 Feb 2007

thanks Forum Editor but that did not work, cannot find the network unless a cable is plugged in, using a cable is not practical, the Belkin adaptor is shown as working but again it is not picking up the signal, spoke to Belkin who have advised we contact ms who apparently can remove the Belkin and the reset the pc, I assume they use remote assistance, cannot find the Belkin in the add/remove settings, will speak to ms on Monday, Belkin adaptor picked up their signal on my laptop when I took it round to daughters home

conrail 15:39 24 Feb 2007

txhanks Beta, did that now laptop searches for network but can only find BThome but daughter on NTL, tried BThome but did not connect,

SteveWH 20:03 24 Feb 2007

You have probably already done this but have you checked that network discovery is on it needs to be to connect wirelessly? Network - network and sharing centre. Also can't hurt to check network location:

Log on to the network.

Click to open Network and Sharing Center.

Click Customize, and then click either Public (for "Public place" networks) or Private (for "Home" or "Work" networks). If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click Next, and then click Close.

conrail 20:42 24 Feb 2007

Hi Beta, just know it is an acer laptop with vista home premium and on switching on in my house while setting up her email it connected to my belkin G+ wireless network, apart from tv adverts I have never seen vista before.
daughter is not availble at the moment but I understand I need to tick a box for ssid? and it should look for the network, where or what is ssid?
I have made a note of your comments SteveWH and will try that

conrail 12:29 26 Feb 2007

thanks to all above, problem sorted, pc started to continually reset so spoke to acer who advised taking it back to the store, acer said it was searching for a network and although it found 3, linsky's bt and ntl, it was having problems connecting so was resetting to try again, got usual rubbish off store, "oh its an acer, you have to deal with them" stood my ground so they said they would send it away for repair, I said its only 3 days old so I want a new replacement, girl brought the manager who set up laptop and said it should find their wireless network, it didn't so we got a brand new one which when brought home found daughters network straight away, again thanks to all for advice, I think I will stick to xp for the time being

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?