Wiping hard drive completely and installing windows 7

adam.laurence.39 12:41 03 Jan 2014

Hi,

I have a vaio with windows vista, and I just want to wipe the whole thing because it's such a mess and start fresh with windows 7. If I want to wipe the drive completely how do I install windows 7 once it's done, and do I need to buy windows 7 full version or the upgrade version?

chub_tor 17:20 03 Jan 2014

If you leave Vista on the machine you can install 7 via a Win 7 upgrade disc. If you wipe Vista off you would be best to use a full version disk (there is a way to install Win 7 via an upgrade disk Click Here) If you choose to install with Vista still present make sure you select Custom Installation Clcik Here and that will wipe out your messy drive - however it will also wipe out all your programmes and data so save the latter before you start and have all your programme disks to hand so that you can re-install your programmes.

alanrwood 19:53 03 Jan 2014

Depending on your Sony model you will find most of the required drivers on the Sony web site but check first as they are not always available. I had a VGN-A497XP which I managed to upgrade to Win 7 without too much trouble although some of the drivers required were a bit obscure by the name given to them especially if you have any non standard buttons which require Sony software

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017