Windows Vista SP1 RC1

Guybrush1 15:48 09 Dec 2007

Hi people

Just a little feedback regarding SP1 RC1. I had a dabble with it yesterday, using the little registry hack that forces the update through Windows Update when applied. Word is that Microsoft are going to make this RC public this week for anyone who fancies checking it out.

With that in mind I just thought i'd give a little feedback. Installation was pretty straightforward and took around an hour as was advised. The bad news is that on completion within 15 minutes of the reboot I'd had 2 serious BSOD's. One advising that the OS had attempted to 'page to a non-pageable part of the disk' and the second simply crashing out and creating a memory dump then advisng I contact my systems admin.

While I know many testers have installed this flawlessly and everyone's experience is likely to be different so far SP1 is not boding well for my system which incidently is a brand new Vista gaming rig from Cyberpower.

The good news is that the uninstall feature works like a charm and i am happily back where i started and total stability is restored.

I have now tried a beta and the RC with the same prety worrying results (the beta BSOD'd everytime I pressed send/receive in Outlook??!!)

Think I'm gonna stay well clear until this SP goes gold but I just thought I'd share the experience for those of you that might considering having a go when it goes public.

All the best

Guybrush1

anskyber 15:52 09 Dec 2007

"Think I'm gonna stay well clear until this SP goes gold but I just thought I'd share the experience for those of you that might considering having a go when it goes public."

Is very much a good strategy when dealing with an OS.

Pine Man 16:56 09 Dec 2007

Glad I read this, I very nearly...........

celticdragon 17:38 09 Dec 2007

Thanks for the feedback Guybrush1, I am tempted to try it, I just need to resist and this helps!

JACC 21:09 09 Dec 2007

Thankyou Guybrush1, that saves alot of heart-ache

jarvis10@btinternet.com 06:20 10 Dec 2007

vista sp1 confuses me, if updates/ additions are needed why not have them as seperate updates as needed? i understand service packs on xp as it's a very old operating system. why not sort out any niggles with updates rather than a major revamp all in one go which is bound to course some problems.

rawprawn 13:42 11 Dec 2007

I shall make you an Honorary Member of Tinkers Anonymous click here
Thank you for the timely warnings.

anskyber 14:51 11 Dec 2007

for those (not me) who want to test RC1 on a separate partition. click here

Guybrush1 19:17 12 Dec 2007

LMAO rawprawn you found me out. If its there I simply have to try it......I can't help myself. It's like I'm taken over and all caution goes to the wind. I can't begin to tell you how many Windows installations I've lost as a result.

I gladly accept my enrolment of Tinkers anonymous........now....do i get a T-Shirt ;-)

Cheers

Guybrush1

Rubus 20:57 12 Dec 2007

It's here, no hacks required.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?