Windows Vista Home Premium... No Sound Recorder

anniesboy68 15:31 17 Mar 2007

Just bought a laptop with Vista Home Premium pre installed, and I appear to have no "Sound recorder" programe. To confirm, Skype states on boot up that there is "no sound recording capabilities. Anyone else have this problem as I wish to use Skype from time to time.

Kate B 16:54 17 Mar 2007

that's probably to do with your soundcard/onboard sound. Have you got the most up to date drivers for it?

anniesboy68 17:28 17 Mar 2007

Hi Kate B.....Thanks..will look into that. However I searched on the net, and surpise, surprise I found a post/report that Microsoft had not included sound recorder with Vita Home Premium. Thats why I am enquring re other users to see if they have it

anniesboy68 10:44 18 Mar 2007

Surely somebody is out there using Vista Home Premium and can answer the question, just to set my mind at rest, please!!!!!!!!

Jon-ny 11:31 18 Mar 2007

I'm not actually running Vista Home Premium yet but I have a hunch...

In Vista you can turn off and on certain Windows Features by:

Clicking on the Start Button and selecting Control Panel.

Under Programs click Uninstall a program .

On the side menu, click on Turn Windows features on or off.

On this menu look for sound recorder, if it's there and unticked: tick it, then press OK and wait.

If its there and ticked, I dont know sorry....

And if its not in the list then sorry for wasting your time!

Jon

Forum Editor 11:51 18 Mar 2007

because you do have sound recorder in Home premium. You'll need a sound card in the machine of course, and a microphone.

Here's what you do:

1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Sound Recorder.

2. Click 'Start Recording'.

3. To stop recording audio, click 'Stop Recording'.

4. (Optional) If you want to continue recording audio, click 'Cancel'. In the 'Save As' dialog box, click 'Resume Recording', continue to record sound, and then click 'Stop Recording'.

5. Click the File name box, type a file name for the recorded sound, and then click 'Save' to save the recorded sound as an audio file.

In Vista Home premium your audio files will be saved in the .wma format. Some other versions save in the .wav format.

anniesboy68 12:04 18 Mar 2007

Forum Editor....Thanks for input. However, I do have a sound card and can produve sound. What I do not have is the facility to record sound. When clicking [opening] sound recorder I get the message "I do not have any sound recording capabilities", and as mentioned in the first post Skype confirms this. Something is wrong somewhere then.

anniesboy68 13:11 18 Mar 2007

All sorted!!!!!!!!! The problem [just a simple one] is that a recording device i.e. a microphone MUST be pluged in for the sound card [and Skype] of course to recognise it. Simple "aint" it.

Forum Editor 13:13 18 Mar 2007

in my earlier post:

"You'll need a sound card in the machine of course, and a microphone.

anniesboy68 13:32 18 Mar 2007

Which is what I said,

in my earlier post:

"You'll need a sound card in the machine of course, and a microphone.

Yes, but with ALL the operating systems I have had since Win95 you have not actually had to plug the microphone or recording device in first. This is the point I am making now. I am running XP on this my other [main] computer and you just click on sound recorder and up it comes. No mike is plugged in. Must be a peculiarity of Vista. I await further comments!!!!!!!!

Forum Editor 13:56 18 Mar 2007

that most sound recordings will be via a microphone, so it defaults to that as the primary input device.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?