Windows Update won't work on brand new PC

kinger 20:02 11 May 2008

I've just purchased a brand new desktop PC and all's fine apart from when I use 'Windows Update'.

I'm on Vista Ultimate where the Windows Update searches for updates but just stays searching and never finds any updates nor do any error messages appear. It seems to hang with the green search line running across.

I've got other PC's on the same Broadband connection and they work fine.

Any ideas as to what may be stopping WU working?

Thanks, K!

brundle 20:05 11 May 2008

Open an elevated command prompt, and type the following commands. Press ‘ENTER’ key after each command:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

There may be some errors on registering on the DLL, which can be ignored. Once re-registered, check for updates again. In most case, Automatic Update will work almost immediately. If trick does not work, try to disable UAC. You can always re-enable the UAC once the Windows Update gets working again.

From here; click here

I know you said you don't get a code or any result at all but this is worth a try.

kinger 20:49 11 May 2008

Hi Brundle,

I just tried those hints but both, unfortunately, failed to cure the problem.

Any more help greatly appreciated.

kinger 20:51 11 May 2008

In fact, when I type in click here into my browser, it doesn't load their website.

All other URL's work fine, though.

I'm wondering if there is some reason why I can't connect to the server.

brundle 20:59 11 May 2008

Could be MTU config or Vista's new TCP Auto-tuning feature preventing access;

Vista TCP Auto-tuning
click here

You can set it to low, medium, normal and High..er..and Off. I had to disable it so that Messenger would connect on my Vista laptop.

MTU
click here

MTU on that specific machine, not your router (I assume that's how you connect the other machines).

kinger 22:57 11 May 2008

Thanks brundle.

I did the Vista TCP auto-tuning thing and also reset my rounter to its default settings.

I'm not sure which resolved it but now I can get on all websites and Windows Update is working again.

thanks. You're a star.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?