Windows Update not working

aoirira 09:44 01 Sep 2013

Hi everyone.

I have recently purchased a pre-owned Lenovo laptop. I am running Windows 7 on it (it is the OS which came with it).

Recently, I made an attempt to update Windows 7 using the service Windows Update, which is accessible both from the Start menu (All Programs => Windows Update) and from the Control Panel.

However, when I try to do this, I encounter an error. When the Windows Update window opens, there is a box with a red strip on the left and a red shield with a white x on it beside the red strip. The box says "Check for updates for your computer - Always install the latest updates to enhance your computer's security and performance." When I click "Check for updates", I get a message appears, saying "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer."

However, restarting my computer does not help a slightest bit, and I have no idea as to how to make the updating work. Also, I tried tried to install some .NET Framework update recently, and it could not install for some reason. I suspect it might have something to do with the updating service problem.

I would be very grateful for solving this issue. Lukas

Chronos the 2nd 12:07 01 Sep 2013

Go into Control Panel >> click on Windows Update item

Click on Change settings (at top left)

under Important updates, click on the down-arrow pull-down

Click on Never check for updates

press OK

Close the Control Panel window

Then Logoff and restart Windows fresh.

When ready, go back into Control Panel >> click on Windows Update item

Click on Change settings (at top left)

under Important updates, click on the down-arrow pull-down

Now make the selection that you need for automatic updates

press OK when done

Close the Control Panel window

Taken from a Microsoft site.

aoirira 13:23 01 Sep 2013

Jock1e: What's the name of the Windows Update service in the Services tab? Chronos the 2nd: I did what you told me to do, the situation persists.

Chronos the 2nd 13:35 01 Sep 2013

What's the name of the Windows Update service in the Services tab?

It is actually called Windows update.

Try these steps, and I recommend creating a System Restore point when changing or deleting any Windows files and/or folders.

Go to Services and Stop the Windows Update service.

Go to start button, search and type in Run.

Go to Run and type "services.msc" to locate your Services.

Delete all the content, folders and files, in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\

Go back to Services and Start the Windows Update service. Check for updates.

Post back the result.

aoirira 17:22 02 Sep 2013

Jock1e and Chronos the 2nd: Tried both of your suggestions. The result is that when I click on Check for updates, it will say: "Windows could not search for new updates - An error ocurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Error(s) found: Code 8024001B Windows Update encountered an unknown error."

Chronos the 2nd 18:12 02 Sep 2013
  Chronos the 2nd 18:12 02 Sep 2013
  chub_tor 18:16 02 Sep 2013

There is an automatic troubleshooter for this error code Click Here

aoirira 18:48 02 Sep 2013

Chronos the 2nd: I have tried it. However, the Command Prompt got stuck for a while when I performed the first command for clearing the cache, and after a while it told me that Windows Update service could not be stopped.

chub_tor: Tried the tool. Results of the diagnostics are that everything is "Fixed" except "Problems installing recent updates", which is "Not fixed", and "Check for missing or corrupt files", which is "Detected".

Chronos the 2nd 19:31 02 Sep 2013

I am sure I had a similar problem a while ago but for the life of me I cannot remember how I sorted it. But I will sleep on it and come back to you.

aoirira 08:02 03 Sep 2013

Chronos the 2nd: I know that feeling. :D Thank you. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?