Windows Update 21st August

Pine Man 14:18 21 Aug 2007

My Windows Update is NOT automatic. It is set to notify me when updates are available so that I can download them when convenient.

When I restarted my PC this afternoon I was asked to wait whilst updates were configured before it booted normally. On my update history I found an entry with todays date, 21 August, indicating that the following had been downloaded and installed - Windows Update Software 7.0.6000.381.

I did not download this and my Windows Update is still NOT set to automatic.

A Google check shows no results in respect of this 'update'.

Any ideas?

crosstrainer 14:31 21 Aug 2007

Not one I have seen, doubt it's malware, but might be worth checking.

Have a look in your updates section and post back.

I can't find it, but machines do vary on software, config, etc.

anskyber 14:39 21 Aug 2007

Nothing for me and I have re booted to see if it triggered anything. My last Windows Update software was on 22/06/07 and version 7.0.6000.374

Pine Man 14:41 21 Aug 2007

Thanks for getting back.

This has got me really puzzled - there is no trace in Google or on Microsofts Web Site.

When I open Windows Update it shows the last download as being on 18 August 2007.

In my Update History it gives no details other than the name and number of the update as shown in the thread above. It gives the date of installation as todays date and the fact that it was successful and important.

This update does not appear in the 'Programs & Features' page.

Pine Man 14:44 21 Aug 2007

Prior to this update the last one I had was the same as you.

i had one this morning, it's an update to the updater (if that makes sense!)

Pine Man 15:58 21 Aug 2007

Thanks for that. It appears to have slipped in through the back door while I wasn't looking. Devious little sod, Bill Gates, isn't he!

well, i cleared up a load of old files, uninstallers etc yesterday, so i thought it was some i had removed. like the 'genuine riskware advantage' or whatever it's called! i havnt installed it but probably will have to for the next update. did you recently run ccleaner? or remove any files recently? seems strange not everybody been notified of it.

Pine Man 18:10 21 Aug 2007

'did you recently run ccleaner? or remove any files'

Nope it just appeared.

anskyber 18:00 24 Aug 2007

It's just happenned to me also. Like you I have my updates set to notify but not install. I got a defender update today but that was the only one listed.

On reboot of my machine your update was there.

Pine Man 18:18 24 Aug 2007

Is this a case of big brother (Bill) knows best and you don't get the option of downloading it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?