Windows picture and fax viewer

Liteman 08:36 26 Apr 2017

I have a PC with Windows 10 installed (new install, not upgrade) and want to be able to view pictures. On my old PC, which ran Win 7, I was able to use Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, however under Win 10 I have to use Windows Photo Viewer. Whilst this is OK, it does not have a screen devoid of all icons, arrows etc (ie a clear screen except for the picture being viewed); I know that one of the function keys removes all of these and that I can also use Slideshow mode, but these are not really any use for what I want. In the first case, the moment you advance to the next image all the perimiter icons and arrows reappear and in slideshow mode you cannot control the speed of image advance. Is there a way of downloading and installing the old Windows Picture and Fax Viewer without having to resort to fiddling with the registry.

Archonar 09:13 26 Apr 2017

There are 3 different apps in play - Picture and Fax Viewer, Windows Photo Viewer and Photos (As far as I am aware Photos is the latest one for windows 10). The first 2 seem to be usable with windows 10 (though to get photo viewer back you need to use an app called windows tweaker 4.0 from the windows club).

I don't think there will be an easy way to get picture and fax viewer for windows 10, at least without also having to edit the registry. But there are always other options available online. Google some of the best photo viewers and you will likely find one that suits you rneeds.

Liteman 14:46 26 Apr 2017

Thanks Archonar, I will do that and see what I can find. In the meantime if anyone else has any bright ideas they would be gratefully received.

Secret-Squirrel 16:15 26 Apr 2017

.............which ran Win 7, I was able to use Windows Picture and Fax Viewer...

That was a Windows XP utility so I doubt that you'll ever get it work with Windows 10 :(

If you actually mean Windows 7's "Windows Photo Viewer" then it's included by default in Windows 10 and looks and behaves exactly like the one in Windows 7. If you don't know how to find it then right-click one of your picture files -> Open with -> Choose another app -> select "Always use this app....." -> select "Windows Photo Viewer" -> OK.

....... and in slideshow mode you cannot control the speed of image advance.

You can right-click in the slideshow window to set the speed, or, you can pause it and manually advance the photos by using the arrow keys on your keyboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?