Windows Movie Maker

IntoPCs 17:14 11 Sep 2007

I thought I'd try this to create a DVD of photos and short videos from this years holiday. Added about 100 photos and 5 videos (each less than 5 mins) and all was going well until I started getting creative with transitions - WMM crashed! Started again - saving regularly and completed the project with just a couple of crashes. Then went to publish the project to DVD, Vista closes WMM and opens DVD Maker - it crashed and keeps crashing everytime; so I tried publishing to PC from within WMM - it crashed straight away!! Now whenever I open the project within WMM it crashes and it is driving me nuts. I have other software to create the DVD, but I want WMM to work as I've spent so long on it.
Has anyone else had similar problems or can you suggest what might be causing it?

Fermat's Theorem 21:17 14 Sep 2007

here's my two cents worth.
In the earlier (Version 2) of WMM I seem to remember that one was limited to 100 photos with transitions - I remember having to cull photos from the project to allow it to continue. I don't know if that has been resolved in the current (Version 6) of WMM that you are (apparently) using. That could be the cause of the crashes once you start to publish.
If WMM no longer has such limits I would guess that computer memory may be the problem. Video rendering is, as you know, very memory intensive.

I wonder if the following workaround might help you. Try creating several smaller projects in WMM and then bring them successively into the DVD Maker (using Add Files) so that ultimately you will have your original full project back.

It would not make sense for MS to have provided a DVD Maker facility if the DVD was limited to 100 photos with transitions.

One other question - did the 5 minutes movies you are including run in the preview (i.e. are they compatible with WMM)?

Hope others can pick up on this to resolve the problem for you. (I use ProShow Gold for creating slide show presentations like yours and I generally use Nero top burn my CDs and DVDs).

IntoPCs 23:35 14 Sep 2007

Thanks for the response - your suggestion of creating smaller projects and combining within DVD maker sounds like it will work and I do have other software options. The videos are Quicktime and displayed OK within the project, but further investigation may reveal a problem there.
Maybe unrelated, but I've started having a few problems with media center and TV and I have my suspicions it could be to do with graphics.
Plenty to work on this weekend!!

Fermat's Theorem 16:39 17 Sep 2007

if the problem is resolved?

IntoPCs 22:06 17 Sep 2007

Thanks for asking, but no - I haven't had the time to look at it seriously - the main reason why I was mad that it didn't work first time.
I will post back if I get anywhere - thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?