Windows Media Player streaming problem

APLevine 13:37 06 Jun 2008

Hello,

I have been running Vista 32 bit home premium and regularly used Windows Media Player to stream content from the internet. However, recently something has triggered a very weird problem that I have not been able to solve: when I attempt to stream video content from the internet, WMP no longer activates. Instead Adobe Flash Player starts, and this can hardly play wmv files without stopping every second.

I have tried everything, literally, to remedy this: checking for viruses, checking for spyware, reinstalling WMP, repairing the registry, setting WMP as default player, system restore, checking settings in WMP options, changing from Internet Explorer to Firefox, uninstalling third party software, disabling add-ons, and every suggestion in the "Windows Vista and Windows Media Player" forum. And nothing has worked. When I attempted to uninstall Flash Player, the files wouldn't stream at all and a blank window opened with a link to "Get Flash Player".

Then, to make matters worse, I tried to save one of the videos to my PC, and "Open with", and set WMP as default player. What happened you ask? WMP was not able to play the file and said the file may be unsupported or there may be a codec error; however, I know from before that WMP CAN PLAY THESE FILES. Before I tried this I was still able to play streaming files that were Windows Media Player-labelled links, but now if I even try to play those instead of streaming, my PC starts to download the file and won't play it at all!!!!!

Please help... P.S. Would very much like to avoid having to reinstall Windows, as I cannot find my Microsoft Office CDs.

Thanks,
Adam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?