Windows Media Player 11

alexb314 09:51 09 Oct 2008

I've tried to go into my registry and delete the Windows Media Player folder and reboot, and nothing happened after I restarted. The crazy thing is I have deleted the software for Windows Media Player and everything associated with it. It still works, but videos on the web wont play right and are choppy. I cant download any new Windows media player because it tells me that I have a newer version on my computer. I bought a registry cleaner and fixed all the errors and it should clean it as well? Still cant install another media player. This is horrible, Microsoft is pathetic on support for this one. Please help !

Pine Man 12:07 09 Oct 2008

You can't remove Media Player from Vista it's virtually impossible and, to my knowledge, nobody has found a way to do it.

The only thing you can do, possibly, is to use your Vista DVD to carry out a repair on your installation.

Pine Man 12:18 09 Oct 2008

I am not sure why you should say that Microsoft is pathetic on support for this one. I just did a quick search on their Vista Community site and found replies confirming my views. click here

peter99co 14:09 09 Oct 2008

When I recd SP1 for Vista it replaced WMP which is built in to vista and is not possible to uninstall. A repair should work.

alexb314 14:48 09 Oct 2008

I'll try sp1, I was up all night pulling my hair out, just a lil cranky...

alexb314 16:22 09 Oct 2008

Does anyone know about this windows software uninstaller, it claims it can uninstall hidden files for windows media player 11...
click here

Pine Man 17:24 09 Oct 2008

I would try a repair first.

Microsoft suggest that if you do attempt to uninstall Media Player it could affect the whole of the o/s as it is an integral part.

peter99co 22:33 09 Oct 2008

My post was to tell you that SP1 when installed as an update included a update of WMP and I have installed it. This was in March 2008.

This link may be useful for repair
click here

peter99co 22:42 09 Oct 2008

It depends how long it is since you removed software but a system restore back to a working setup may be a good idea.

alexb314 23:00 09 Oct 2008

The repair option within Vista sounds worthwhile, SP1 was already installed on my pc, doh ! I forgot it was on here already. I dont have a dvd to boot from, how can I get around that, make one somehow? Thanks for helping...

alexb314 23:02 09 Oct 2008

My hp laptop didnt come with a separate dvd w/ Vista on it...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone