Windows Mail problem: unable to choose recipients

Pineman100 11:17 26 May 2008

My wife's laptop runs Vista Home Premium (SP1 not installed).

All has been well with the Windows Mail email client for some months, but suddenly a problem a has appeared.

When she opens the Create Mail window, and clicks on "To" to open her Contacts folder, she gets the following report:

"Unable to choose recipients".

She is also unable to modify any of her Contacts or Contact groups.

The Microsoft communities forum suggests that this can be cured by removing update KBB933928, but this is not listed among the updates on her computer. The same is true of KB932818, which was also mentioned somewhere as a possible culprit.

I have run System File Checker, which reported: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them". It pointed me to a log file which is enormous, and which I simply don't understand.

I have also tried System Restore, back to the earliest restore point available. No solution.

The only ways in which she can send an email are (a) type the recipient's email address directly into the To box, or (b) click on a recipient's email address in the Contacts gadget in the Windows desktop Sidebar.

My wife is secretary of a very large society, so this is a major problem for her (and for her husband, who's supposed to be able to fix it!).

Anyone got any ideas please?

mfletch 12:47 26 May 2008

Try deleting and then redoing her user name etc in her user account,

mfletch

BurrWalnut 12:59 26 May 2008

SFC appends its results to a log file named CBS.log, which is located in the \Windows\Logs\CBS folder. Use Notepad to read it (you may need to run Notepad as the Administrator). If there are errors, use ‘Find’ (Ctrl + F) to check for the words 'cannot repair'. Write down the names of the corrupted files and go here click here which shows you how to copy any system files that SFC could not repair.

If the log file is too large to access in Notepad, delete it and run SFC again, which will create a new log file.

Pineman100 13:03 27 May 2008

^

peter99co 21:23 28 May 2008

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?