Windows Mail-message stuck?

cagey 11:28 28 Jan 2010

I have received a Junk email which I can't delete, it comes up with a message "An unknown error has occurred". I think this is preventing other emails being received. How can I get rid of it?

a member 09:25 29 Jan 2010

it would depend on what E Mail client you are using , I had a similar problem after importing an account in windows mail on vista ,A email that would simply not delete I tried everything ,but it would not budge ,the solution was to go directly to the junk mail folder and delete it directly , in my case that was : to go to your main drive (usually C) then Users/(your account name)/App Data/local/Microsoft/Windows Mail/Local Folders/Junk E Mail.... Delete everything in this folder eccept winmail.fol

If you dont see App Data folder you need to have show hidden folders ticked ,under Organise/Folder and search Options. if the file still wont delete ,you may have to take ownership of it first .
Of course if you use some other email client all of this would probably be useless.

cagey 10:29 29 Jan 2010

merlinx. Thanks for reply. I followed your procedure and eventually found the "Junk E mail" folder which when I opened it, it was empty!
The offending junk email is still showing in Windows Live Mail-junk mail and still get the error message. I can still receive emails ok, so unless another possible solution can be found, it looks as if I'll have to live with it.

JohnWilliams 07:59 30 Jan 2010

Does this help
click here

Or maybe this...
You get an error message that there is an unknown error, and the email cannot be moved. Nothing you do works. Delete doesn't work, nor does moving it to another folder, etc. Out of pure frustration, I highlighted the offending email, and tried to drag it somewhere else on the page. Of course, I got the universal round circle emblem with the line through it, but after that I could hit "delete" and the email was gone!

cagey 16:54 30 Jan 2010

JohnWilliams--- Your 2nd suggestion worked, message now gone.
Thanks a lot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017