Windows Mail falls over when I import Outlook data

Pineman100 10:20 17 Jul 2007

I'm trying to export my wife's email contacts and folders from Outlook 2000 on our XP PC into Windows Mail on her new Vista Home Premium laptop.

I have exported her main email folder, which contains several sub-folders, as a Windows .CSV file. In Windows Mail I have opened File>Import>Messages. From the list of file formats I have selected Microsoft Outlook. When I then click Next, Windows Mail just closes.

I've tried exactly the same procedure exporting our Outlook 2000 Contacts folder into Windows Contacts, with the same results.

Please can anyone suggest a way around this problem?

IntoPCs 15:32 17 Jul 2007

"From the list of file formats I have selected Microsoft Outlook"
This will cause it to look for .pst files associated with Outlook on the current PC (laptop) are there any other options such as 'from file'?

Pineman100 18:54 17 Jul 2007

... thanks for your response.

The only messages import format choices offered by Windows Mail are as follows:

Microsoft Exchange
Microsoft Outlook
Microsoft Outlook Express 6
Microsoft Windows Mail 7

There's apparently no option to import a .CSV file at all.

Any ideas, please?

Mial 01:39 19 Jul 2007

When you go to File/Import and Export and click it you get a Window asking you to choose the action to perform. You click export to a file. This gives you a new window in which there should be several choices, including the .CSV you selected. One of the other choices will be: "Personal Folder File (.pst)". Export as that and Windows Mail will have no problems importing it.

Pineman100 11:34 19 Jul 2007

... I'll try that. Which import format should I choose in Windows Mail? The four formats that I've listed above don't seem to tally with "Personal Folder File".

Pineman100 12:48 19 Jul 2007

The answer seems to be to export the Outlook .CSV file to Outlook Express, then take it across to Windows Mail.

Or, to put it another way, travel to Bristol via Milan.

Thanks for your help. I'll try it and report back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?