Alienware 17 R4 2017 review
I've recently upgraded our desktop & laptop PCs to 64-bit Windows !0 Pro. For emails, I use Windows Live Mail on both machines and have identical accounts set up on both systems, so that I can read emails directly (as opposed via webmail) when away from home.
Incoming emails from other people read perfectly OK, both with or without attachments. Outgoing emails from me arrive at the recipient as expected if there are no attachments. However, if there are attachments - even ones I've generated my self such as a photo or Word document, more often that not, the recipient gets multiple copies of the email (often not readable) - as many as 31! Sometime the receiving Windows LM system (when I send messages between my two PCs) automatically deletes all the excess messages and leaves just one. However, for other users, this doesn't happen.
I get the same result whether I'm sending the message from the desktop to the laptop or vice versa. What's going on & how do I fix it? It's annoying to say the least - both for recipients & me.
Source: click here to say what search terms to use without getting multiple hits on irrelevant stuff
Thanks for the quick reply & links robin_x. It seems I am not alone! It's funny that I get the same problem on two PCs - but then I installed Windows LM the same way on both, using the online download installer rather than downloading an .exe file, as suggested in one of the Windows Forum links.
Fortunately I keep my Live Mail messages on a separate drive from the program, so it's relatively straightforward to remove WLM and set up the Message Store to the existing one after re-installation before going online again. At least that way you don't end up with two MessageStores.
It's also strange that it only happens with email having attachments. I could understand it (a bit) if they were external attachments, but it does it with PDFs & pics I have created. I've run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware & Super-AntiSpyware, but neither program has picked up anything suspicious.
I'll try a few things over the coming week and leave a post here if I solve the problem. If I don't, I can always swap to Thunderbird!
I've fixed it! For anyone with a similar problem, here's how I did it: Rename your existing Message store folder. (eg.Windows Live Mail.old.) create a new completely empty folder. (eg. Windows Live Mail.) Go to Windows Live Mail (you may not have to re-install it) and set up afresh the account info for your ISP. Put in a Dummy password - not your actual one - so that you can't accidentally download your messages to the default message store. Go to the Mail Options and set the messages store to the new folder you have just set up. Now enter the correct password and download your new messages. Your existing messages (but not the other WLM files) can then be transferred from the .old folder to the new one. Once you are satisfied you have everything you were expecting, (including storage folders & contacts if you kept them here) you can delete the old folder.
I guess the problem was in one of my profile files. Generating a new storage folder gets rid of it.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.