Windows Fax and Scanner (Scanner duplicate issue)

Bendico 16:22 08 Nov 2014
Answered

Here is an image of what it looks like

How can I remove these duplicate scanner items? They are not installed on the computer of course -- they are leftovers of an HP CM2320 printer. The printer is still installed, and works, but the included software downloaded from HP's website will not install. The drivers do install, and that's why it can be used. The all-in-one printer works - even the scanner. It's just that the person I'm trying to help is not very good with computers. So I would like to remove all the "no friendly name" icons from the scanner selection menu. I thought it would be a simple task, but it turns out to be much more difficult than first anticipated. The computer is running Windows 8, 64 bit. The printer is an old HP cm2320nf mfp. Any help is appreciated -- thanks beforehand. -- Bendi

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:09 08 Nov 2014

Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.

Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To see scanners that have been added to the computer, double-click Imaging devices.

Right-click the scanner name, and then click Uninstall. Until you only have the one left.

Bendico 22:05 08 Nov 2014

If only it were that easy. I tried that, but they are not showing up under imaging devices.

This is why it's such a difficult problem to solve. I'm pretty sure the only solution is to look in the registry and remove them manually, but I'm not sure where these files are located.

(Only one scanner shows up and that's the one that is actually installed and working)

• Bendi
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:38 08 Nov 2014
Answer

In device manager - select View - Show Hidden devices

Expand the printer / scanner and the USb devices and uninstall everything shown in light grey.

Bendico 23:26 08 Nov 2014

Thank you so much, Fruit Bat! You are a genius! :-)

This was driving me crazy. I didn't even realise they were hidden. Usually I am able to fix these kind of problems easily, but I was at my wits end here. Well, I'll remember this for next time I see something similar to this.

Thanks once again!

-- Bendi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?