Windows Explorer Startup Options

petermcwerner 06:31 10 Jun 2014
Answered

When I start the Explorer it will always position itself on Libraries. Is it possible to change this default to start e.g. on "Computer" ?

Secret-Squirrel 08:17 10 Jun 2014
Answer

Here you go Peter.

petermcwerner 08:51 10 Jun 2014

Thank you, Secret-Squirrel

Another very useful trick I found on

click here this, you can have various shortcuts that lead you to specific folders without changing the basic Explorer settings. Here an example:

Right-click on an empty spot on the Desktop. In the context menu, choose “New- Shortcut”. In the space labeled “Type the location of the item”, enter:

%windir%\explorer.exe /root,\MULTIMEDIA\Photos

where MULTIMEDIA is the name of another computer on the network and Photos a shared folder

The syntax must be exact so watch the commas and spaces. Click “Next” and give the shortcut a name, e.g. "Photos" Click “Finish”.

alanrwood 09:01 10 Jun 2014

You can make Explorer open anywhere you want by adding the path of the location to the shortcut. If you don't use the Libraries you can also get rid of them. I find them a waste of time and more importantly space on the display. I have also got rid of Favorites, User and Control Panel. If anyone wants the small program let me know and I will try and post it somewhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?