Windows Explorer not working

Jo77 13:51 13 Apr 2008

Hi

Very annoyingly, started up my laptop & it is coming up with an error message
' Windows exlporer has stopped working'..

It then says 'Windows explorer is restarting'.

Then goes back to the first error message.

I am running Vista Home Premium

I cannot do anything to get rid of these error messages & hence cannot access my desktop. I am using my flat mates laptop to post this!

Any advice please?

Jo

anskyber 14:23 13 Apr 2008

Try starting in safe mode and doing a system restore.

anskyber 14:24 13 Apr 2008

scroll down to Vista safe mode click here

Jo77 14:54 13 Apr 2008

I have done a systems restore & scanned with WIndows defender for spyware...no luck.

I think it might be that I downloaded Frostwire but I cant uninstall it now

Jo77 19:44 13 Apr 2008

Any advice anyone.

Have removed uninstalled several applications but not helping.

I installed an automatic update this morning, 'Security upgrade for Microsoft Window'. It was shortly after this that the error messages kept appearing. Have uninstalled this but no joy either.

Its difficult to do anything as there is a loop between the two error messages..

anskyber 19:51 13 Apr 2008

Did you uninstall Frostwire from the add/remove programs or did you use the uninstall facility in Start, all programs?

Jo77 19:57 13 Apr 2008

I uninstalled the applications from the control panel 'Programs'

Jo77 20:15 13 Apr 2008

Have found a work around- created a new user account & error message does not appear.

Note ideal, still want to get a fix if anyone can help.

anskyber 21:02 13 Apr 2008

It seems thar Frostwire is best uninstalled using the uninstaller in all programs.

Jo77 09:00 14 Apr 2008

Yes Anskyber have noted that. However it is very difficult to do anything as the error messages continually pop up and as soon as I cancel them they reappear.

I have done a system restore, uninstalled various applications, run various virus/spyware scanning software & problem still remains.

If I leave the error messages running long enough I get a pop up telling me that that Microsft has found a solution to the problem- a codec called 'mpegsplitter.ax' should be uninstalled.

Problem is I have search for this file & cant find it anywhere. Maybe one of the virus scan programmes deleted it?

For the moment I do have a work around by using a different user account but the account which is corrupt has all my files etc on it & has administrator rights. Ironically I was just about to backup all my files on a new harddrive when this problem occurred.

Any advice anyone?

Jo

&

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?