Windows Explorer always crashing in 8.1

bear73 10:54 27 Feb 2015

Using desktop PC - HP Pavilion 23 all in one

I've been having issues for months with Windows Explorer crashing when trying to open certain files or even hover the files. At first it was certain videos in my Videos folder but now it's the Cloud Photos folder too. I posted a while ago for some help and tried a few things, the only thing that worked was removing two installed updates (KB2995388 & KB2975719). However, the last time it happened I went to remove the updates (sometimes they reinstall) and found that neither of them were there, so now I have no workaround.

As a last resort I decided to do a refresh on the pc yesterday, this went well and on rebooting I could open all of my video files and Explorer did not crash once. I then loaded the 147 updates waitng in windows update as it obviously took my pc back to its original settings. After loading all of them the videos and explorer all worked fine. I then realised that i was still on Windows 8 and not 8.1 so i downloaded 8.1 and BINGO exact same problems with the files in explorer.

So my question is, is there a known remedy for this problem in 8.1? I've googled it and it seems to affect a lot of people but none of the tweaks I've tried have worked (apart from the two updated which still aren't showing in Windows Update).

Is my only option to go back to windows 8 and not upgrade to 8.1? If so, how do I best do this, is it a case of refreshing the pc all over again?

Any help appreciated as this is driving me bonkers.

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:58 27 Feb 2015

click here stick with your original thread opening another will just cause confusion

Please

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:06 27 Feb 2015

Apologies the above post should have been for another thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?