Windows Easy Transfer Trash

NETCHRIS 23:32 02 Jul 2007

Hm, I thought about it the other day, Vista's Easy Transfer seems to move all your files to your new hard drive. But it makes me wonder, does that mean it transfers all of your trash from the old hard drive too? When you delete something, it goes into your trash in which you can recycle. If you recycle it it's just hidden in some hard to find file somewhere in those regions you don't go near, does that mean it's copied? So it's like you get all that junk you deleted transfered too?

Also, I was wondering where exactly recycled files go to. Because stupidly when I was a kid I typed some of my passwords to a Word spread sheet but I deleted it when I became older... Now I'm plagued by the idea that the deleted password list document lingers amongst my PC without it being encrypted or shredded. I don't want to use software either. Haha, thanks anyway.

Forum Editor 23:56 02 Jul 2007

When you delete a file all that happens is that Windows puts a marker on it that causes it not to be displayed in the directory listing.

The file is still there, but you can't see it, and neither can anyone else, unless they use forensic file recovery technology. The marker effectively says to any application "This file is no longer required. If you need the space it occupies you may overwrite it."

NETCHRIS 00:02 03 Jul 2007

Hm thanks. But my question still stands, does Easy Transfer copy those recycled files onto the new hard drive? And just for the heck of it, is it possible to shred and encrypt a recycled file? I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

Forum Editor 00:18 03 Jul 2007

you want Easy transfer to move to the new drive. If they're not selected they can't be moved, and if you've put files into the recycle bin they won't be available in your data directories.

Yes, of course it's possible to permanently delete a file, or to encrypt it, but you wouldn't want to do both - there would be little point in encrypting a file that you were about to delete permanently. If you're worried about something being available to another person on the old hard drive why don't you just format it?

NETCHRIS 00:23 03 Jul 2007

Hm thanks that helps. So basically the recycled files aren't on my new Vista PC! Great. Nah, I don't need to format the old PC it because it's tucked safely in my closet. Thanks, now I can live with the fact that all my childhood mistakes aren't on this PC anymore. Haha, start a new!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?