windows defender out of date

gazzaboy 21:07 17 Jul 2008

When i started my pc up i had a Windows security alert telling me that my windows defender was out of date .So i clicked the update button and a message came up saying that there are no new definitions available?Also i have recently done a restore back to an earlier date because of computer crashing all the time but it only seems to help for a while .Use Bullgaurd and windows def.Also have spyware blaster. Help!

brundle 21:21 17 Jul 2008

This is a direct link to the latest update set ;
h t t p://download.microsoft.com/download/DefinitionUpdates/mpas-fe.exe

Download and run it, then open Defender.

Defender is outclassed by most of the other programs here click here but is better than nothing.

gazzaboy 22:23 17 Jul 2008

thanks i will try that .Forgot to mention i have also got adaware antispyware aswell.Which of the programs do you recomend?

sunny staines 10:59 18 Jul 2008

click here

click on the link, then goto the 32bit defn update in the upper black box as i have coped over.
Latest Definition Updates
Windows Defender
Antispyware: v1.37.863.0
32 bit
64 bit
Information on updating Windows Defender

download to your desktop, after download click to open when completed you can delete this download on the desktop then open defender and the defnition update version should be shown at the bottom of the defender screen

Diversion 21:11 18 Jul 2008

Hi
I found that Ad-Aware caused the same problem on Vista Ultimate, I uninstalled it and just use my Panda Internet Security which includes Mega detection for both Spyware and Viruses. And I've found that SpyBot Search and Destroy works better on Vista than it ever did on my XP Pro PC, and if your interested in Panda you can pick it up click here for about £8 including P.P. Once installed and you just go onto the Panda website and download the latest customer update and your set for 12 months of updates all for 8 quid.

gazzaboy 23:11 18 Jul 2008

thanks all will try these

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone