windows defender missing in vista

aine 20:26 21 Dec 2008

I have just found that the above is missing, I have done all the scans etc. I have tried RECUVA this could not find it, tried to download the above from the windows site, would not let me because vista is preloaded with it. The error reported is 0x800106ba I have tried a system restore back 2 weeks,it is still missing.returned back to this date 21/12/08.
any help or ideas would be welcome. the last time I went to defender was to disable it a few weeks ago.
regards Aine

brundle 03:44 22 Dec 2008

Missing in what regard? The shortcut is gone?
Create a new one and point it to

"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MsAsCui.exe"

It's not worth using anyway, the only thing it's worth having running for is notification of changed startup entries but StartMon or WinPatrol do that and the latter lots more anyway.

rawprawn 08:25 22 Dec 2008

Does this help click here

aine 13:12 22 Dec 2008

many thanks brundle and rawsprawn. Tried both solutions, both failed! the defender is listed in prorams and in the control panel. It is not listed in "add or remove". Have you any further suggestions?.Regards Aine

brundle 13:57 22 Dec 2008

It will never be part of Add/Remove in Vista, it's a built-in component which runs as a system service.

brundle 13:58 22 Dec 2008

Ensure the service is started; follow this but ensure it's not disabled - click here

aine 14:34 22 Dec 2008

Well chaps. went into services, pressed on defender, automatic on startup, pressed the button 5 or6 times. Bingo it started. why I dont know. Regards Aine ps Will click this as resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?