Windows Defender

DAnthony 22:01 24 Oct 2008

Platform: Vista Ultimate SP1 regularly updated.

Of late, I have a Windows Security Alert in the task bar informing me that Windows Defender is out of date, and, the Windows Defender icon has an exclamation mark on it. When I check for updates, I am informed that there are no new definitions or updates available.

I have restored the machine to an earlier restore point, still no good. This is more of an annoyance fator and I would like to know how to fix it.

Many thanks in advance

rawprawn 07:55 30 Oct 2008

Look in "Update History" have the updates been successfully installed, if not check for error codes.

DAnthony 10:39 30 Oct 2008

Thanks prawny - all updates have been sucessfully installed - no errors. Thanks

sunnystaines 11:50 30 Oct 2008

try disable in services, re start pc, then set back on auto see if if corrects itself.

DAnthony 23:07 30 Oct 2008

Still no good prawny. But something else has happened now, I have lost my validation and I am pretty mad with Microsoft. I am now told that I have to reactivate by buying a new key or to contact ASUS. My Asus F3SV came installed with Ultimate and I have been diligent with all updates and installed SP1. Before I reinstall Ultimate (a bloody pain in the butt), do you have a suggestion or two? Many thanks

rdave13 00:12 31 Oct 2008

Check firewall settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017