Windows Defender

rawprawn 08:21 02 Jun 2007

Has stopped updating, I get the message "Windows Defender Can't update"It is not blocked by the firewall. Any Ideas?

LinH 09:21 02 Jun 2007

rawprawn

Do you get an error code0x80240029 or similar? If so the Software Distribution folder is corrupted.

1 In the search facility enter %windir%
2 Navigate down to the SoftwareDistribution folder
3 Rename it SoftwareDistribution.old
4 Restart your machine

Defender should now work ok.

rawprawn 10:05 02 Jun 2007

Thanks, yes I have tried that but it won't allow me to change the name even in safe mode.
Also I don't get an error message just a simple Can't

rawprawn 12:47 02 Jun 2007

I have managed to rename the folder by stopping Auto updates in services and then renaming it.
However it still doesn't work.

sunny staines 15:46 02 Jun 2007

i would just delete defender and gofor fresh download and reinstall.

rawprawn 12:45 03 Jun 2007

Hi sunny staines, when you say Delete I assume you mean uninstall. Unfortunately Win Defender is not listed in Add or remove programs or anywhere else that I can see. It seems to be an integral part of Vista. I have run sfc with no luck. Any other ideas welcome.

Probabilitydrive 12:50 03 Jun 2007

I've used the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility click here to uninstall Windows components.

Not tried it on Windows Defender though, but it should work to uninstall/reinstall Win Defender.

Read thoroughly before committing to use it.

rawprawn 13:35 03 Jun 2007

sorry, it isn't shown in Windows installer clean up utility.

sunny staines 14:22 03 Jun 2007

click here half way down the link it mentions poblemswith vista updates with defender have you tried this route yet

rawprawn 14:32 03 Jun 2007

Thanks sunny staines, yes auto updates is enabled Windows itself is updating no problem, but if I try to manually update it shows one to install for defender but it fails. If I then follow up with troubleshooting it takes me back to LinH
first suggestion., which didn't work. I have disabled defender for the time being (It never found anything anyway) and I am running Spyware Terminator real time instead. It just annoys me that I can't fix the problem.

sunny staines 14:38 03 Jun 2007

i had a scout round the web you can only disable defender no option to reinstall as in xp.

i'm back running xp as i was not 100% keen on running vista beta.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?