Windows Backup questions and help request.

Siberian Winter 23:44 04 Sep 2013

I have been using the Windows backup function, and there's a lot I find puzzling. I'm running W7 Home Premium SP1. I have a 2TB HHD (C: drive) and a 2TB external drive for backups. I had no problems until I added some huge files to my drive, taking it to about 3/4 full. At that point the backups always failed - not enough space, apparently. So I deleted everything on the backup drive, and ran it again overnight. 8 hours later it was still running, so I cancelled the backup and removed some of the big files to a 3rd drive, leaving my C: drive just over half full. I emptied the backup drive again and ran the backup. This time I let it run overnight and over the next working day. It completed, but the size of the backup is more than the used portion of my C: drive by about 300GB. Why would this be? It didn't happen like that previously. Is it possible to do a backup only of the user data files (there are 3 users)? If I am having to restore from a backup it would probably be because I've re-installed the OS. Is there a step-by-step on how to restore to a clean installation? I can't seem to find one. Sorry for going on a bit. Any advice appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?