Windows asking for serial number

guardian1128 17:24 14 Apr 2017

Help, I recently downloaded a film and went to play it and didn't notice that it a .exe extension instead of avi or mkv, now my laptop keeps going to a Windows screen asking to select region and device from a list then goes to a screen asking for the 25 character serial number, never had this and pretty sure it isn't legit either as it has phone numbers to call for UK and USA in the corner saying toll free (which we don't use in this country), it's shut down windows defender and the security centre and won't let me turn them back on again, installed malwarebytes anti malwarebytes software and ran it in safe mode and found over 3500 dodgy files but can't remove without Internet access but when running in normal mode it only gets about a minute in then the screen turns blue and goes back to the windows screen asking for the serial again, no idea what to do next, any ideas?

rdave13 18:28 14 Apr 2017

What happens if you right click the screen, what options do you have in the context menu. It might be a false page showing. If you can disable it so you can go to control panel, internet options, connections tab then lan settings and untick the box for ' Use a proxy server...'. Then run malwarbytes full scan again.

Belatucadrus 18:39 14 Apr 2017

Dr Web live CD / USB may also be worth a try.

Secret-Squirrel 18:56 14 Apr 2017

Guardian, in case you're not aware, that's not a genuine Microsoft page. Unfortunately you've become infected with something malicious so try a System Restore via Safe Mode, or preferably, the version found under the "Repair your computer" boot option (Windows Vista & 7). Choose an available restore point that pre-dates the onset of this problem but don't go further back than you need to.

By the way, amti-malware programs are good at detecting and eradicating threats but they're not very good at repairing a Windows Registry that's been heavily modified by malware so try my System Restore suggestion. You won't lose any personal documents.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires