windows 8.1/crashing/slow

kpatz 12:36 22 Oct 2013

Since doing the win 8.1 (upgrade) my laptop is slow and keeps crashing/freezing, is anyone else having this problem and if so have you worked out how to fix it?, I've run scans/startup manager etc but i'm losing patience, Can anyone help please.

sunnystaines 13:23 22 Oct 2013

have you checked device manager for yellow warnings against drivers, alough my laptop not slow the update deleted my nvidia driver which i reinstalled.

SANSSAIL 20:18 24 Oct 2013

I am having similar issues with 8.1

The system goes into a "controlled" compute bound loop making the system slow.

Task manager indicates the task called "system" is consuming 30% of CPU continuously spread across all 4 cores. There is no I/O happening associated with system. Rebooting fixes the problem for a while but it comes back at some undetermined time. The typical user programs that have run are IE, Windows live mail, and Microsoft solitaire. Nothing shows up in device manager as being abnormal.
Any Ideas Regards

steviekm 09:24 25 Oct 2013

hi, sounds like a compatibility problem with another piece of software or a driver not fully 8.1 compatible.would suggest as above to check for the yellows warnings as well as update (if necessary your drivers etc. Also, which a/v are you using? some aren't as yet fully compatible with 8.1; its worth checking this out with your vendor. I found the best way to "upgrade" to 8.1 was to do a clean re-install followed by updating to 8.1 and finally download and install all the latest versions of my software that i use on a day to day basis. Apart from using more resources (which could also be the root of your problem if your pc's specs are borderline) which I understand is down to the new automatic updating services etc hope this helps, Steve

christina.john 10:45 04 Nov 2013

It can be cause of non compatible drivers.. have you checked all your drivers are compatible with Windows 8.1? If not, you are less likely to find an exact solution until you come up with compatible drivers !!

rogerthat1945 01:36 19 Dec 2013

I have TWO computers that keep crashing with various BLUE-SCREEN-OF-DEATH error messages. The latest being;- "SYSTEMSERVICEEXCEPTION (Win 32 ~)"

One is a 3D i7 laptop, otherwise perfect. All the latest drivers and bios etc... The other is a brand new Gaming i7 desktop with a fresh install of windows 8.1 also. Also all fully updated.

Face it.

Microsoft is a dogs dropping.

I especially HATE the crashes and re-boots; which regularly happens whilst I am commenting on Disqus on the Indy website.

Well over fifty crashes and re-boots over the past two months.

Up to once an hour.

My 10-year old XP PC NEVER crashes like that.

rogerthat1945 01:41 19 Dec 2013

I have all the latest drives on both my W8.1 x64 computers; but Windows 8.1 still kills my PC`s

I have TWO computers that keep crashing with various BLUE-SCREEN-OF-DEATH error messages. The latest being;- "SYSTEMSERVICEEXCEPTION (Win 32 ~)"

One is a 3D i7 laptop, otherwise perfect. All the latest drivers and bios etc... The other is a brand new Gaming i7 desktop with a fresh install of windows 8.1 also. Also all fully updated.

Face it.

Microsoft is a dogs dropping.

I especially HATE the crashes and re-boots; which regularly happens whilst I am commenting on Disqus on the Indy website.

Well over fifty crashes and re-boots over the past two months.

Up to once an hour.

My 10-year old XP PC NEVER crashes like that.

rdave13 15:28 19 Dec 2013

Possibly not the answer to fix the errors on your set-up but maybe a fresh install would be better after you back up everything. Something to consider, Click here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?