Windows 8 - WMP codecs

Quickbeam 07:24 11 Dec 2013

Last weekend I thought I'd rip some CDs to mp3 for use on an Android device, something that I haven't done for a while and back with W7, only to discover that WMP on W8 now won't do it. The RIP destination and associated selection boxes are greyed out and inactive.

The WMP help tells me to download the required codecs from the internet, but with this warning.

Does anyone know if this site is a safe download, from this google search, or of any other recommended safe download?

And why can WMP on W8 no longer do this?

Thanks QB

Quickbeam 10:15 11 Dec 2013

Thanks for that Jock1e. last night downloads don't make any difference so I'll try the second link that you posted.

Is Microsoft adopting a policy of non-approval of CD ripping I wonder? I'm not the only one judging by the web that can't rip in W8.

Quickbeam 10:22 11 Dec 2013

Hmmmm, Windows and Norton immediately flagged it up with reject recommendations.

Surely I don't have to get my optical drive and emergency netbook running Windows XP down from the attic to do the job?

Quickbeam 10:59 11 Dec 2013

I've just downloaded Freerip to do the job until I sort out what needs doing with WMP.

It's doing the job but very slowly, I'd prefer WMP to do it.

Quickbeam 08:07 12 Dec 2013

Windows still doesn't like it if I click to open that file and throws a hissy fit. Has anyone else added any codecs from an outside source and had any problems?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?