Windows 8 Will NOT boot-PLZ HELP

mjordan0112 04:39 03 Jan 2015

Backstory: My all-in-one PC was working completely fine until recently. Upon my mouse/keyboard freezing up I had no option but to power the computer off by holding the power button. When I booted the PC back up I got the windows blue screen telling me that an unexpected error had occurred.

Error code 0xc000007b

My OS is Windows 8.

No matter what I do, I cannot repair my PC. When it boots it reads:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired.

Error code 0xc000007b

You'll need to use the recovery tool on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer.

I'm given 3 options to proceed:

1 Press Enter to try again

2 Press F8 for startup Settings

3 Press ESC for UEFI Firmware Settings

The first two options don't seem to do anything. After following several "solutions" I've stumbled onto online, it seems as if I've only made things worse.

I do NOT have recovery discs, or an external USB device.

I downloaded a windows 8 iso and burned it to a dvd just to see if I could repair it using that. Unfortunately I can't even get the disc to boot on startup unless I go into the UEFI and disable Secure Boot, turned on CSM and rearrange the boot order. Once I do get it to boot the disc, it brings me to the windows install screen.

When I goto "Repair Computer" I'm able to perform some troubleshooting. Nothing seems to work though.

I try refresh PC == "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

I try Reset PC == "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing."

Advanced Options >>

System Restore == Error telling me to restart the computer and select an operating system, then select System Restore.

System image Recovery == I have no images to recover from.

Automatic Repair == Diagnosis, and attempts repairs. Comes back with "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC.

So all I really have access to is the command prompt.

I have tried a lot of the suggested solutions online but always hit a wall at some point that prevents me from completing any of them. In the diskpart I see all my drives/volumes/partitions, in the BIOS I see my UEFI hdd, but it just seems like it isn't mounted properly. Checking my C: directory shows my Windows and Program Files directories.When I try to set the disk or volume to active I get the error:

"The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk. The active command can only be used on fixed MBR disks."

I'm a total newb when it comes to this stuff and feel a bit in over my head. But I'm completely broke and I have a lot of important projects stored on the HDD so I'm trying to avoid doing a clean wipe and reinstall (that or putting this thing in my trash can). Please help!!

spuds 09:26 03 Jan 2015

I have just put "windows 8 will not boot up" in a Google search, and a number of possible solutions have appeared, including some from Microsoft. Here's one suggestion click here and another click here saying that they will work, but perhaps worth a look?.

Not

Secret-Squirrel 09:51 03 Jan 2015

mjordan, error code 0xc000007b (also know as "INACCESSIBLE-BOOT-DEVICE") can sometimes be caused by hard disk corruption. Have you already run a check-disk on the system partition? If not then use the Command Prompt window found under the "Repair my computer" options. If your system partition is C: then the command is chkdsk C: /R

rdave13 11:53 03 Jan 2015

Have a look at this, click here. My system shows the boot volume as Fat 32 but it's because I've got EFI rather than UEFI.

rdave13 20:41 03 Jan 2015

Changing to the UEFI volume into the boot folder, if a Toshiba machine, might need this command, cd /d E:ToshibaBoot .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?