Windows 8 Sleeping Problems

Penny Goslett 10:41 05 Dec 2013

I have a Windows 8 Toshiba laptop. I do not have any screen savers set up. I have set it up so that the Screen should be switched off after 1 minute when plugged in and Sleep after 1 minute when plugged in. a Password is NOT required when waking up after Sleep. Yesterday it would go to sleep but I needed to input my password when awakening. Today the screen switches off but the PC won't go to sleep.

Help!

Penny

theDarkness 02:11 31 Dec 2013

What happens if you set your system to sleep mode with the screen always on?

If you have an admin account, windows 8 may demand a password regardless of setting after awakening. Perhaps someone else can verify, as I cannot try this myself. Two methods are shown here on how to disable your password if your system goes back to successfully sleeping and asking for a password.

Sleep issues are quite common. I have a new acer aspire laptop, fully updated, and it does not awaken out of sleep or hibernation in windows. I also have windows 7 on an msi system and it does not always awaken when going into sleep mode after the lid is closed. The keyboard does nothing. In my case I believed it was due to either incompatible drivers with the operating system,or a motherboard needing a bios update. For both of my systems it was easiest to just remove both sleep and hiberate from my shutdown options-eg in 8 the acer power option in the taskbar, and metro user profile.

theDarkness 02:42 31 Dec 2013

are you running 8 or 8.1, or have you installed anything new just before these issues occurred? Make sure all your power options are set correctly,eg this is for 7 but it's own options should be near identical from the control panel. There is also a similar not sleeping toshiba problem here - all they suggest however is a link to toshiba at the bottom to make sure your system drivers are fully updated and to a run command to list what can wake the system.

1]: [click here 2]: [click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?