Windows 8 32 bit to 64 bit

KevinSilber 21:17 12 Feb 2015

I installed the 32 bit version of windows 8 and nbow regret it. Can I easily install the 64 bit version. I have created a separate partition. Can I install the 64 bit version to that and have both available?

BRYNIT 00:13 13 Feb 2015

Why do you regret installing Windows 8 32 bit? Unless you have 4 or more gb of memory you will not gain much from installing Windows 8 64 bit.

rdave13 00:36 13 Feb 2015

Why have a second partition for the same os?

With Win 8 you can install from within Windows.

If you have an iso file of the 64-bit version on your PC then right click it and select 'mount'. Follow instructions and select upgrade.

Similar with an optical disc or usb drive.

It will leave you with a Windows. Old folder after 'upgrading' that will take a lot of GB's. Leave it for a while in case you need some data off it.

To remove the Windows. Old folder run disk-cleanup as admin found in Admin tools in Control panel.

lotvic 12:56 13 Feb 2015

rdave13, not sure you can do that. To change from 32bit to 64bit you have to do a clean install. It says on MS site ClickHere

Can I update from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 8.1?

If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8.1, but you'll need to buy it as a DVD and perform a clean installation. You won't be able to keep any files, settings, or apps when you update from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version.

I don't have an answer for the OP about installing both on separate partitions on a harddrive. Don't know if you can do that or not.

rdave13 18:36 13 Feb 2015

Lotvic, I stand corrected. Apologies to KevinSilber.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone