Windows 7 Live Mail - Message location

t.long 22:13 09 Jan 2010

First off I imagine this has been covered, but not having much luck with the search function. So sorry if we are going back over old ground.

My install of Win7 managed to get itself very corrupted - System restore and Windows Fix could not bring it back. I was unable to load even in safe mode.

My cunning plan was to load Vista onto the second hard disk, so leaving all the files and docs from Win7 intact and use Windows Mail (Vista) to get the messages from the other hdd then make a proper backup using Windows Mail.

Unfortunately I can not seem to identify which file contains the messages. I understand the Windows Mail stores all the messages and settings as one file, but upon accessing Windows Mail using Windows Exolorer I can not find the message store.

BurrWalnut 08:55 10 Jan 2010

You mention Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail, which are two different programs!

The normal WM location in Vista is the hidden folder C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail. It is safer to copy the entire \Windows Mail folder rather than just the Inbox, etc.

The normal WLM location in Windows 7 is the hidden folder C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\ and under each Account Name there is Inbox, Sent Items, etc. Individual mail items have an extension of .eml.

t.long 17:02 10 Jan 2010

Sorry for any confusion I thought "Live Mail" had replaced "Windows Mail" in 7.

Anyway I found the files so marking as solved. Thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?