Windows 7 Harddrive Problems After Unexpected Shutdown

AraHub 21:28 25 Dec 2014
Answered

Hey guys,

I have been having some serious issues with my computer after an unexpected shutdown happened a few weeks ago. The computer has gotten slower and slower and I have been getting error messages about the SATA. I suspected the harddrive was the culprit (as an issue like this did happen in the past). I have tried removing the harddrive to check for any hardware/wiring problems and I can't seem to find any.

The PC will occasionally go into windows repair, but it doesn't solve anything. After a while, the computer has gotten so slow that even if I do manage to get it to boot into desktop, it will be extremely slow. Slow to the point where I cant open anything and I am forced to pull the plug on it to shut it down.

Is there any way to fix my harddrive problem? It is a 2TB Hitachi harddrive from 2010. Aside from the one hiccup it received last year, it hasn't shown any problems in its career.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

rdave13 22:11 25 Dec 2014
Answer

NO. It's a dying drive no doubt. Install in a caddy and get all your document files off it as soon as you can.

I wouldn't even consider a drive half the size if I had the OS on it.

AraHub 00:26 26 Dec 2014

Yeah, I figured it was dying. :( Any idea on what I should replace the drive with? I've considered upgrading to an SSD, but they're still a bit too expensive for me.

rdave13 00:32 26 Dec 2014

I'd go for a small drive (120GB or higher) for the OS and buy another drive for data. So if your C drive goes belly up your data will be ok as long as you have other backups.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?