Windows 7 to external Harddrive 'forgetting' item copied

benzil 10:43 08 Apr 2014

Hi there,

I'm having a problem copying files to my external hard drive (Fijitsu/Siemens)formatted in NTFS, with 758 GB Free.

I complete the following process: 1. Open the hard drive

1. Copy a file from my computer

2. Paste the file onto the hard drive

The file appears to have copied to the external hard drive, as I can see it in the hard drive's explorer window.

However when I remove the hard drive from the PC, and the reattach it, the file is no longer on the hard drive.

I've waited minutes before removing the hard drive, so don't think that the computer hasn't had 'time' to copy it.

Does anyone have any thoughts what the issue might be?

Many thanks Ben

jaywoo 17:54 08 Apr 2014

Are you dragging-and-dropping, or doing right-click/Copy, right-click/Paste? Can you open the file on the external drive after you've copied it but before you reboot or remove/replug the drive?

Can you create new files on the external drive (right-click in the Explorer windows, choose New/Text Document). When (if) the New Text Document appears, type something into it using Notepad, save it, re-open it to check it.

Open a command window as admin. Start Menu/Accessories/Command Prompt, right click and choose "Run as Administrator". In the command window type

chkdsk -your external drive letter-: /r /f

eg

chkdsk e: /r /f

It might take some time to complete a thorough disc check. You may need to reboot the PC first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?