Windows 7 drop in performance

beebender 09:50 20 Jan 2010

I had posted this on the general forum but have been advised this is a better place.

I have recently bought a new computer with Windows 7 Professional and have an Intel i7 975 with 6GB RAM a Geforce GTX 295 and a Velociraptor 279GB C hard drive and a Western E drive 465GB.

I had presumed this would increase my system performance but it has dropped to 5.5 out of the possible 7.9 and the scores are as follows:

Processor 7.4
Memory (RAM) 5.5
Graphics 7.7
Gaming Graphics 7.7
Primary Hard Disk 5.9

This is lower than my last QX Quad Core Processor(XP OS) with 4GB RAM and a GTX280 which scored 5.9. Could somebody please explain why this is and bearing in mind I asked my supplier for a top spec and have spent close on 3K have I reason to complain?

More importantly what can I do to increase this rating?

anskyber 10:27 20 Jan 2010

Are you comparing the score with Vista?

anskyber 10:34 20 Jan 2010

To add if so then you are comparing apples and bananas. W7 has been reconfigured to take account of emerging technologies like solid state drives and so on, scores will therefore appear to be lower even for the identical hardware when using W7.

For a fuller explanation and reasoning click here

OTT_B 11:33 20 Jan 2010

"More importantly what can I do to increase this rating?"

The WEI scores are really not that important, and they can certainly be a little flakey.

Run some benchmark programmes (3DMark06 or 3DMark Vantage, for example) and look at the comparison chart it gives you at the end. If your scores against similar spec PCs are low then you may have a problem and should be investigated.

a member 12:11 20 Jan 2010

I have 5.9 .on an amd machine well below the spec of yours ,take the wei score with a pinch of salt ,its only put there to encourage people to be constantly upgrading hardware ,a marketing trick ,and it works quite well if you browse various forums and look at the posters daft enough to be buying the higher spec hardware in the belief it will give them the fastest available .its pretty much nonsence , the proof of how well your pc will work will only be known when you give it something to do, create and manipulate some huge photo files in photoshop at the same time as you burn a video dvd and listen to some music .then you will see if your PC is up to scratch .

User-1229748 15:47 20 Jan 2010

are you running 32 bit or 64 ? i have a lower spec than you and 6 gig of ram scores me 7.1 how many times have you run the wei ? if only once then run it again,also make sure you have the most up to date drivers for everything.

961 17:02 23 Jan 2010

Can you check to see if you have the windows defender anti virus etc running?

I had exactly the same problems that you describe having installed my own Internet security system (Kaspersky). I found later that by default W7 had its own anti virus running which meant that the two were obviously arguing with each other
Having disabled the Windows anti virus the machine speeded up no end

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017