Windows 7 Crashing/Not Responding Problems

StephenCWJ 22:12 18 Jul 2014

Hi guys,

Normally I'm quite good at figuring out my PC's problems and fixing them, but this one has totally baffled me.

So a couple of months ago I started getting these problems. Windows would stop responding after around 15 minutes. I'd have to restart it, then it would tell me that Windows didn't boot properly, I'd get the "disk read error has occured" message. Sometimes it would even just hang on the Windows logo, but I figured out that my hard drive had packed in and it needed a fresh new one. I even did a fresh re-install of Windows 7 just to be sure.

So with that out the way, fast-forward a couple of months later and the problems start slowly coming back. It started with web based programs to begin with like Spotify, Chrome, Firefox and (dare I say) Internet Explorer. They would just stop responding, cause Windows to entirely stop responding. I've checked for malware and spyware, I've defragged God knows how many times and I've done many system cleanups with Advanced System Care. I've uninstalled and re-installed both the graphic drivers and network drivers but it's changed nothing. As of the past week, any basic action with Windows Explorer has started causing Windows to not respond. Sometimes when I reboot the PC I get the same "disk read error has occured" message.

I'm a total loss, I've no idea what else I can do. I would appreciate any help at all!

rdave13 22:34 18 Jul 2014

To begin with I'm not a fan of programs such as Advanced System Care by IObit. These type of programs are absolute rubbish and can, and do, damage the OS.

If IObit hasn't knackered your system restore then restore to a point just before you installed it.

Use Ccleaner for maintenance and nothing else.

Scan with your security programs as often as you can remember.

StephenCWJ 23:14 18 Jul 2014

Have been using Ccleaner as a back-up, but I'm not sure Advanced System Care is where the problem lies. It was a problem before I started using it and it's the same problem now.

rdave13 23:23 18 Jul 2014

So ASC doesn't work. Try a system restore to when the PC was working. Then run CHKDSK On the C:\ drive, it will require a reboot.

sharpamat 06:11 19 Jul 2014

Have you actually done a complete clean inside your system Dust esp around the H/Sink becomes blocked and can in turn cause some of the problems you have been having

Secret-Squirrel 09:13 19 Jul 2014

Stephen, when you get these "not responding" problems, do you get a Windows error message or does the program freeze with no errors?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?