Windows 7 Backup from USB Portable HD ?

Graham UK 21:11 15 Jun 2010

Regarding Windows 7 Backup.
Just purchased an Acer X64 Ferrari Netbook, Windows 7 Premium which does not have a DVD writer.
I have however saved a System backup to a USB Portable HD.
QUESTION. If the present system fails or has a virus, how can I reinstall the backup from the USB HD if I can't get into run Windows 7.

Previous PC I used Norton Ghost booting from DOS.

Thank you for your reply's

Zeppelyn 00:15 16 Jun 2010

You need 3 things :-

1. An ISO of a Windows 7 Recovery Disk click here

2. Use Img Burn to extract the iso. click here

3. Copy the extracted files to a bootable USB stick.
click here

Graham UK 07:32 16 Jun 2010

Zeppelyn. Thank you for your fast reply.
I will follow the links you kindly listed.

Thank you. Graham UK

cheap to fix 22:40 21 Jun 2010

wrong answer, here is the correct one:

Windows 7 has a built in imaging program,

Create A System Image In Windows 7

After you install and activate Windows 7 create a system image as a backup for your current computer in case you ever need to reinstall it. This will restore your computer to it's exact state when the image was made - that will save you the trouble of having to reinstall Windows 7 and everything currently installed again, and it takes much less time to do.

1. Click the Start Menu and type "Back Up" then click on Back up your Files.
2. In the Control Panel window that appears, Click the blue Create a system image link.
3. The Create a system image window should pop-up. Select which hard disk, DVD, or network location you are going to save your system image to. Click Next to continue.
4. On the next page check both your System and System Reserved drives. Once you have selected the drives Click Next to continue. Note: You can select as many drives as you want (if available), but the more you choose to include means the larger the image size will be.
5. The next window is just a review, make sure everything is correct then Click Start backup to start the process. This can take 10 minutes or more so patience is required.
6. After the backup completes, you?ll be prompted with the option to create a system repair disc. This is a good idea just in case your system has any problems in the future. Click Yes.
7. Choose which Disc Recording drive you?ll be using to burn the disc. Insert a blank CD or DVD to the physical drive and then Click Create disc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017