Windows 10 Start Menu/Taskbar not working

bartakt 15:45 30 Jul 2015

Here's as detailed as I can be. Left clicking the start menu or search button on the task bar will not work. Left clicking programs on the task bar does work. Right clicking programs does not. I was trying to find solutions online and most of them involved using powershell as admin. Except when I open powershell, I can't run as administrator because I can't right click it.

Anyone else had this issue and been able to make the taskbar/start menu work correctly?

chub_tor 17:07 30 Jul 2015

There is a similar thread here and I have given the only response I can at this stage. Keep Googling it, someone may come up with a better solution.

f_ron21 23:47 30 Jul 2015

I had the same problem of not being able to open PowerShell as admin. What I did was open Powershell, Hold down Crtl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager and then right click on Powershell and click open file location and create a shortcut on your desktop and right click the shortcut to open it as admin

bartakt 23:53 30 Jul 2015

Unfortunately, I found a way to do that with PowerShell and it didn't fix my problem still :(

f_ron21 00:26 31 Jul 2015

Yeah it didnt work with PowerShell for me either, However I opened task manager and clicked on Cortana and clicked on End Task and that seemed to work for me, hope this works for you.

f_ron21 04:53 31 Jul 2015

Okay so later it stopped working again but I think a temporary solution is Running PowerShell as admin and then typing in Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} and let it finish and then if it doesnt work open task manager and end Cortana so it should restart by itself, hope this works

DrSuzanneConboy-Hill 10:47 05 Aug 2015

I'm not sure people's fixes are actually working. I do nothing at all and the Start/task bar issues fix and unfix themselves at random. Often over night after a shut-down but sometimes in the middle of the day when the PC is in use. So far they've been gone and back 5 or 6 times - sometimes without Search but today Search works as well. Yesterday, my wifi connection went off and the Start etc functionality went with it. Today it's all back.

sexysnokums 11:52 18 Sep 2015

Hello all, you might want to try launching powershell as admin, then open task manager, and end the explorer.exe (windows explorer)

now run the Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} line this worked for me.

Govan1x 13:12 18 Sep 2015

What happens when you press the Windows logo key on the Taskbar does it open the start menu.

Govan1x 13:13 18 Sep 2015

On the keyboard I meant to say not the Taskbar.

bartakt 13:18 18 Sep 2015

I forgot to update this thread but I fixed my issue some time ago.

Something was broken with the user account when this issue happened. So, the way I fixed it was to create a new admin account and I did a reset windows (since then I had access to settings and the start menu again). Downside is I lost my applications, upside is I kept my files.

But to answer your questions: the windows key does nothing and I tried that script before I did the above solution and nothing happened.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?