Since windows 10 download no sound.

AlanGreenacre 13:10 01 Aug 2015

As the above,since windows 10 was downloaded, no sound, the sound icon say's 100% but no sound from laptop speakers or head phones.

GertrudeLouise 13:25 01 Aug 2015

The on board audio of my laptop (Toshiba Satellite L655)has also stopped working after an otherwisw successful upgrade from Win7. Device Manager informs me that both drivers are up to date and working properly,but under Events I found this information

Device HDAUDIO\FUNC01&VEN14F1&DEV5069&SUBSYS1179FD10&REV_1003\4&169ca5e6&0&0001 requires further installation.

A similar message was listed under Events for the other driver, but what needs to be done? Help please.

GertrudeLouise

chub_tor 16:02 01 Aug 2015

You might like to read this article

GertrudeLouise 17:49 01 Aug 2015

The audio icon states that no audio output device is installed. Nothing is listed on the Playback devices.

GertrudeLouise

rdave13 19:17 01 Aug 2015

You can try this. Open Device Manager and expand Sound, video and game controllers. Right click your audio controller (if you have two showing start with the top one) select Update driver software... and in the pop-up select 'Browse my computer for driver software'. Select 'Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer', the resulting pop-up will show a list. The one with the blue tinted certificate icon is the one currently used and doesn't work. Start from the bottom if you have a list and click on it, then select the next tab. You might get an error warning that the device won't work if you install that driver. Just carry on installing. The sound icon might also show the red diagonal line. Reboot and let the driver install for a few seconds then try the volume slider on the speaker icon in the notification area. Repeat this untill you find one that works. If none work return to the original driver and keep checking windows update.

GertrudeLouise 20:46 01 Aug 2015

Dear rdave13, Thank you for your excellent advice. It worked! Changed the driver from the original to the windows hd and re booted. Success.

rdave13 21:28 01 Aug 2015

GertrudeLouise , thank you for the feedback. Not many people do that nowadays unfortunately.

Please be aware that Windows Update might/ or will install the offending driver again and you will need to go through the same procedure again. I have been running 10 since October last year and having been through a similar situation then Windows Update "learns" , for want of a better word, and will eventually not offer the update again.

Thanks once again for the feedback.

cjgrounds 12:24 15 Aug 2015

when you get the list of driver software up, should the box for show compatible hardware be ticked or not? If not, I only have two to choose from, which are apparently both in use? When I deselect the box, I get a much greater choice, but if I want to check all of them to find one that works, it might take hours with all the restarting. Thanks, CG

rdave13 13:10 15 Aug 2015

I have the box ticked. One should only show a blue hue on the icon. That will be the driver/codec that's in use.

AroundAgain 15:52 17 Aug 2015

Have I lost the plot or have you been having a drink too many???

Confused!

cjshingles 18:05 21 Aug 2015

Thanks rdave13 it worked for me too. Every day a new problem with windows 10. I am reluctant to uninstall because our pc is so much faster since upgrade. Thank you again. Urgh

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017